cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data using google maps

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi im going to scotland for xmas and would like to use google maps on my samsung 4 phone, i pay extra and have 5 gb is that enough?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27688 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I may be wrong about this, so please correct me if I am, but I had always understood that you could download a map from Google for a specific area over WiFi, but you cannot get turn by turn directions unless you're connected to data.

Yes correct, you need a data connection back to the server for spoken turn by turn directions but you can still plan your route on WiFi and follow it on screen without a data connection.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23106 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3682 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

I may be wrong about this, so please correct me if I am, but I had always understood that you could download a map from Google for a specific area over WiFi, but you cannot get turn by turn directions unless you're connected to data.

Yes correct, you need a data connection back to the server for spoken turn by turn directions but you can still plan your route on WiFi and follow it on screen without a data connection.

Yes you can follow the route, but as the article that @Cleoriff posted says, you can only download around ten miles of map. Not very helpful if you're on a long trip. It's always puzzled me why Google has never gotten on board with allowing turn by turn directions over GPS without data. Obviously it can be done, as I do it all the time with my map app. Maybe Google has a deal with all the network providers to ensure that maps must use data for directions?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 19

MI5
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27688 Solutions
That article may be outdated now as Google maps include an option in settings to download maps and you can get much bigger areas.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

If Google did their own Sat Nav App then they wouldn't make the money from all the other Sat Nav Apps available in the Play Store.

As for data I only have a 2Gb allowance and don't even use nowhere near half of that, and I'm out on the road all the time using a Sat Nav App with live traffic!

Message 14 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 123017 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
That article may be outdated now as Google maps include an option in settings to download maps and you can get much bigger areas.....

Depending on where it was published ...the article is dated either 02/12/14...OR 12/02/14 ...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 19

Bambino
  • 23106 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3682 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If Google did their own Sat Nav App then they wouldn't make the money from all the other Sat Nav Apps available in the Play Store.

As for data I only have a 2Gb allowance and don't even use nowhere near half of that, and I'm out on the road all the time using a Sat Nav App with live traffic!

You're probably right. The advantage for using a different app from Google Maps, particularly when I'm in the US, is that I don't need to add any data to my T-Mobile Pay & Go sim. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 19

Bambino
  • 23106 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3682 Solutions

As if on cue, this article was published today:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Does-Nokias-HERE-maps-app-have-the-potential-to-overthrow-Google-Maps...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27688 Solutions
Nokia maps have always been considered better by some. Now they are available on more platforms we should see them rise above Google easily.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 19

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 19 of 19