Did you mean: 

iPhone 15 vs pixel 8?

Hugo4ever
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi everyone

Ok so my birthday is next week and my mom and sister are going half on treating me to a new phone as I seriously need a new one.

They were going to get me the iPhone 15 as I've always wanted an iPhone and I've always been told that iPhones are the most secure to have which is the main reason I want one.

However my sister has shown me the pixel 8 ( she owns the pixel 7) as she said it's as good as an iPhone and would be more suitable since I've never had an iPhone before and I'm used to android ( my current phone is the moto g50) and she thinks as I'm autistic and hate change an iPhone will drive me nuts. And I use a lot of Google such as Gmail , Google maps ect and my biggest use of my phone is camera even though my current one is crap so she said the Google pixel has a hugely impressive camera compared to my current phone and is just as good as an iPhone. She also said apple is not as secure nowadays anyway.

I wanted any tech experts advice here my only reason for wanting an iPhone is security are they really more secure than android or is the Google pixel pretty secure too?

I do think she's right about the pixel 8 being more suited but  I read that pixels phones have issues with becoming hot when charging or even doing minor tasks is this true? 

My main uses of my phone are:

Texting
Calls
Social media
Shopping online
Watching YouTube videos
Taking photos
Checking emails

I don't do gaming on my phone or record videos often and I don't download a lot of apps either.

Looking forward to hearing from you all as I agree with my sister the pixel 8 does suit what I want more but just thinking on if Apple really are more secure.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35952 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

Tricky, as each comes from a different stable: https://edition.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/electronics/iphone-15-pro-vs-google-pixel-8-pro

As a dyed-in-the-wool Android user, I would go Pixel. Try Googling reviews - if you already have an Android phone, then stay Android. If you venture Apple and don't like it, you have marginally better resale value after 6 months with Apple, and will still have change to get a Pixel. Go to a shop that has both, and feel them, play with them...

Good luck, @Hugo4ever.

Message 2 of 17

Hugo4ever
  • 19 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi thanks for your reply I have seen both in person and I couldn't decide I liked both. 

I've read good and bad reviews of both and it seemed like the pixel has more good reviews and the only bad reviews were about the issue of the phone getting hot. 

For me I properly would go for the pixel if it's as secure as Apple and if the heating issue isn't a big problem? 

Message 3 of 17

pgn
  • 35952 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

Re Security, both have been targeted by cyber-threats, so you need to be sure you use the Internet safely:   https://us.norton.com/blog/mobile/android-vs-ios-which-is-more-secure

Regarding heating, I have seen reports of such with many phones, both Android and Apple - such issues are usually rectified quickly by the manufacturer by operating system patch release, but heavy game or compute-intensive operations can still cause heating, as can charging if you are not using a certified charging block and a good, securely-fitting power cable.

Good luck with your choice, @Hugo4ever 🤞👍

Message 4 of 17

Hugo4ever
  • 19 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for that link it helped a lot seems both can obviously be hacked but overall iOS is more secure than android. 

I'm always very careful online anyway but it is a big selling point for me. 

Need to just find out what are the major differences between iOS and Android now since my sister says android is more user friendly but I'm a very simple phone user and as long as I can Access my Gmail and go online I don't see how the difference is big for me personally so need to now do research on the different between ios and Android. 

Really appreciate your help and I'll let you know what I go for in the end

Message 5 of 17

pgn
  • 35952 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions
Message 6 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122952 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Hugo4ever 

The answers you get on here will be biased towards whatever phone the responder has.

Some reviewers say there has been very little innovation with iPhones for the past few years, whilst newer phones on the market try to give you as much as the flagship phones for less money.

I've always been a Samsung user and will never change. However I do know of 2 friends who have the latest Pixel and reckon it's the best phone ever.

All a matter of personal choice.

As @pgn said, you can only really know by handling them or reading comparisons from IT folk.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-8-vs-apple-iphone-15/ 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 17

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@Hugo4ever 

I like Android and I have Samsung great phones

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 17

Hugo4ever
  • 19 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi thanks for your reply interestingly a lot of the reviewer's who said they sent the pixel 8 back because of the overheating issue ( apparently Google are saying it's normal) switch to either a iPhone 15 with no issues or a Samsung S23 also no overheating issues. 

Honestly the overheating seems to be a big issue in pixels some have even said the pixel 7 had the same issues. Which is putting me off and thinking of going for the iPhone now but still need to do a lot of research before deciding. 

Message 9 of 17

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6607 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

As you have Android and most of that content can be transferred to the Pixel, changing to iPhone means in many areas you have to start again.

Apple firmware is designed to hook you in to Apple's little universe, once in it is hard to leave

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 17