cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was in southern Cyprus for 10 days and expected my O2 travel to kick in. Not so because according to O2 systems I was in Northern Cyprus. Instead of an extra £10.00 on my next bill I got a shock when I found out that my call charges when in Cyprus exceed £85.00. I raised this as a complaint and they are investigating. If I can't get this sorted I will be looking for another provider. Has anyone else experienced this?
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good news, checked my account today and charges have reduced from £87 to £8, which is what I thought it would be. Thanks for all your comments, I knew I hadn't done anything wrong.
Message 11 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Common problem when north cyprus signal reaches over into southern areas.
One half is euro other turkey I believe.
A call to customer services is your only option and plead your case. Remember however they have no obligation to reverse any of the charges and any goodwill is exactlu that, goodwill.

Message 2 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Common problem when north cyprus signal reaches over into southern areas.
One half is euro other turkey I believe.
A call to customer services is your only option and plead your case. Remember however they have no obligation to reverse any of the charges and any goodwill is exactlu that, goodwill.

I believe this to be the case @viridis Sadly not the first time we have heard this about travel in Cyprus.

Not being facetious here but any type of travel abroad does need a bit of research on the roaming charges in that area...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Wasn't this your phone searching out the available Network not o2's systems ?

Choosing a Network manually in the Phones settings is sometimes the best remedy.

As you've mentioned moving to another provider if this is not "sorted", then If you do move Network please check that your next preferred one gives good signal where you live,work and commute by checking them out via their payg SIM cards. You can unlock your phone to try out other SIM cards. https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form And http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network.

O2 will let you know whether you have fulfilled any contractual agreement you may have with them.

Please let us know how you get on.
Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Any network will charge you the same for out of EU prices so moving won't help you, nor is it a viable threat.
You should manually select an EU network when close to any borders to prevent this from happening.
Sadly, and I know you don't want to hear this but, this is user error and whilst you may get a goodwill gesture out of O2, as mentioned, it is not a given.
Sorry......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 15

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You may well get some form of goodwill gesture but they are highly unlikely to better meeting you halfway. I wish you luck, no one likes an unexpected bill so near Christmas.

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I discussed with customer service yesterday and update is that Network services have advised that this is a problem with their system. My charges are to be amended within 72 hours so hopefully this is good news
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did check this out before travelling to Cyprus so knew that my O2 travel charge for making and receiving calls was 50 pence per call etc.
Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I discussed with customer service yesterday and update is that Network services have advised that this is a problem with their system. My charges are to be amended within 72 hours so hopefully this is good news

I am pleased to hear this @Anonymous  Please update us when the charges are amended. It possibly could help others with a similar problem wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good news, hope these charges are refunded asap. Be prepared to have to caall again though.

Message 10 of 15