Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Emails

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Due to a recent thread by MI5 : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Your-account-will-expire-in-less-than-48-hours/td-... I have spoken to Chiara about this and it has been decided that it would be helpful to have a thread with lists of email addresses which are dodgy.

Some junk emails are basic ones and cannot harm, but there are other emails which contain links to click on which download viruses or links to sites that ask you to input certain personal information.  Some people may not be aware of how dangerous these sites can be.

If you receive an email, can you please post here what it says and/or the email address/domain that it was sent from.

If this page helps just one person then it will be successful slight_smile

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Here are some of the domains of the recent spam emails I have received:

@email.paypal.co.uk

@makecookies.net

@personalbanking.natwest.co.uk

@lloydstsb.llydnl.com

@lloyds-tsb.llydnl.com

@hsbc-group.com

Banks and other companies that handle money transactions (such as Paypal) are very common email impersonation scams.  If you go onto the individual company's website, then it will have its own procedure in place - such as forwarding the email to their spam/phishing team.  Some company's also state on their website the ONLY domain that they will ever contact you from - so if you receive an email from a different domain, no matter how genuine it looks, it won't be genuine.

The important thing to mention is that you SHOULD NOT click on the links contained in these emails - they will either download a nasty virus on your computer/device, or they will send you to a page which asks you to input personal information - DO NOT do this!!

If you have any suspicions then raise it with the official company.

Message 2 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't believe these should be published here, those links can cause problems.

We could have done this before but you don't publish scam email addresses in public?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 17

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi peksie,

The links have now been removed. These examples can now be read and used as a reference if a member receives an email they are unsure about.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been edited now slight_smile
Message 5 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Thanks Toby, they were up for an hour though.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it does have a big title saying spam email is there anyone silly enough to press it
Message 7 of 17

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

And they are now gone perksie.

Thanks for flagging it.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 8 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23149 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Well it does have a big title saying spam email is there anyone silly enough to press it

Unfortunately, yes. Live links to anything dodgy should never be posted. It's asking for trouble if you do. Better off not tempting fate.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 17

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Apologies - I thought that having the email addresses on here would help others - I didn't realise that they would become hyperlinks once the thread was posted.  I amended it as soon as I was aware of the issue.

I have amended it so that is it just the domain names and not the email addresses/hyperlinks that are appearing - however if members are not happy with that then I will gladly amend it further.

Message 10 of 17