cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone displaying wrong "My Number"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought a PAYG iPhone yesterday and had my number ported over from my old O2 PAYG SIM today. The phone rings using my old number just fine, but when I goto "Settings" -> "Phone" the "My Number" at the top of the screen shows the number that the phone came with and not my ported number.

I put the SIM in my old phone (Sony k750i) temporarily and went to "Contacts" -> "Options" -> "Special Numbers" -> "My Numbers" and set the "My Mobile" setting to my ported number, it was the number that the phone came with originally. Then I put the SIM back in my iPhone but "My Number" was still displaying the number that the phone came with and not my ported number which is now tied to the SIM. (Found this info from google and it seemed to work for some but not others.)

I have tried a complete iPhone reset (which took 2h!!!) and still "My Number" is not showing my ported number.

I know this does not affect the iPhone's functionality in any way but it is really annoying that the wrong number is being displayed.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this sorted?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
after the reset did you restore your backup, or start fresh? I think starting fresh may get it correct.

I had this problem with my first iphone, for my second one I edited the number on sim in advance of the number transfer so it displays right. It seems O2 doesn't correctly send the sim update request, or the iphone doesn't process it.
Message 2 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps it's just one of those areas that take longer to come across properly after a number port. You get the ability to use the ported number as soon as the port has taken place but some other things take a couple days longer to come across too. Give it a day or so and contact O2 if it doesn't fix itself then.
Message 3 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't restore a backup, I made sure to delete the backup before I connected the iPhone back to the PC so that it couldn't use it.

I'm sure this setting is tied to the SIM rather than the iPhone, because if I take the SIM out the "Phone" menu in "Settings" doesn't have anything in it at all, and the contacts list doesnt have "My Number" at the top.

Could it be that iTunes is remembering some of the settings from connecting it before the restore and then re-applying them because it see's that the Serial Numbers are the same. Is there any way to delete all iTunes previous knowledge of a previously connected device?
Message 4 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your right, the "Your Number" is taken from what is stored on the SIM Card under the My Numbers section.

There is no way to change this on an iPhone, it has to be done on another phone.

My contract iPhone doesn't display any number, as there is no "My Number" entry saved under my numbers on the SIM.

I did however try adding one with an old Nokia 8850, and when I put the SIM back in the iPhone, the number was there.
Message 5 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried setting it in another phone but it does not seem to have worked, even if I remove what is in that entry and leave it blank the "old" number still displays as "My Number". I would rather it be blank than wrong.

Will call o2 about it today and see what they say.
Message 6 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
The number is taken from the SIM field and set via iTunes. When you change the number back using a different handset make sure that you perform another sync with iTunes.
Message 7 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had the same result after having my old payg number ported over to my new 3g phone and after reading this thread I went to my local O2 shop in East Kilbride where the member of staff had not come across this before.
He was very helpful and had a look at this page and then got a Sony phone with which he was able to change th number on my sim.
It worked immediately the sim was returned to my phone and on returning home I did a sync with i-tunes which made a backup and now shows my proper number there also.

Thanks for bringing it up.

J
Message 8 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad it worked with your phone jss, still not working on mine, will either call o2 about it a bit later or leave it and go in to my local shop after work tomorrow, do you know what model of phone the o2 guy put your SIM into to set it? As this "system" doesn't seem to work with my k750i although it sets "My Number" the change doesn't seem to propagte to the iPhone when the SIM is returned to it.
Message 9 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
i presume only Pay&Go customers can see their number in the iPhones settings. Im not able to see that option and I have the contract iPhone.
Message 10 of 47