Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer eSim between current iPhone and new iPhone

MarkF
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My current iPhone uses an eSIm. I have ordered a new phone (from Apple, not O2) and I will need to transfer the eSIM from my current phone to the new one.

I have read that you need to visit and O2 shop in order to get a new eSIM to use in the new phone even though I am keeping the same number and staying with the same network. I wasn't sure if this was out-of-date information.

Is it really the case that this is the process for transferring eSIMs?? 

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@MarkF 

Yes it is correct.

You need a new esim pack and then you do a sim swap Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@MarkF 

Yes it is correct.

You need a new esim pack and then you do a sim swap Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 24

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

How easy is it currently to move an O2 eSim from an iPhone to another iPhone? Apple's new iOS 16 seems to make this easier or something...? 

Is it still much quicker/easier to move the eSim back onto a p-sim, then move it to the new iPhone, then move it back from pSim to eSim? 

I seem to remember that moving your eSim to a new phone can take ages (like 24h or something?), compared to a pSim that can simply be popped straight into the new phone in minutes. 

So what's the deal with these on O2 currently? Good experience or still slow? 

Message 3 of 24

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Message 4 of 24

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I can confirm: you need a NEW eSim pack (from an O2 store or posted to you) when moving eSim from device1 to device2. 

Using your old eSim pack's barcode/QR code doesn't work when moving to a completely new device. While it should be near-instant most of the time, sim-swaps occasionally take a few hours, and rarely a maximum of 24h. 

(Been to nearby O2 store today, and they confirmed this.) 

Message 5 of 24

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I confirmed it, by actually checking what happens now TODAY. As things change, and O2 staff continually get the answer wrong. 

Message 7 of 24

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

I'm not staff

Currently using:
Message 8 of 24

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@jimthing0 wrote:

......As things change, and O2 staff continually get the answer wrong. 

No change there, that is fairly constant with O2 staff who simply have insufficient training!

Message 9 of 24

stphnwrd
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm going through this process at the moment. I transferred my old iPhone to a new iPhone using the Transfer function, not realising the esim is not included in the transfer. After the transfer was complete, I reset my old iPhone and my mobile number was deactivated. I called O2 and was told the only thing to do was go into an O2 shop with ID and ask for an esim pack. I did this but the person in the shop had to call customer service who said they would have to post a new physical sim with my number on it. There was nothing they could do in the shop!

It's been 4 days without mobile service and I'm still waiting for that sim to arrive!

Message 10 of 24