cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

GrahamW
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

There are literally hundreds of either broken links or pages with old out of date info on the website.

We used to report them but there are too many for us to keep up with.

Er, that's not really good, is it ?

Message 401 of 633

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144505 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
No it's appalling but we can't change it, believe me, we've tried.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 402 of 633

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No it's appalling but we can't change it, believe me, we've tried.

Look at all the lumps on his forehead !!

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 403 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Just fallen foul of this. Back from a week in Italy just after the changes happened to be surprised by 2x £1.99 for sending 5 texts.!

Long customer call and live chat to find out why. Turns out I had had the text and email notification, which is fine, mea culpa for not reading. But what swung it my way was that the welcome to country text I received was still showing the old charging structure after it had apparently changed. At that ponit the offer of a credit was made and accepted. Not asked for, just trying to understand what was going on, so thanks.

As others have said the summer hols will be fun. Also what will happen next year with another change in European regulations?

text NOTRAVEL for now for this light user.

Message 404 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 123021 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Anonymous Really luck for you that the text system hadn't updated ...Pleased they offered a refund.

I am not sure why you didn't get a text to warn you of the changes....?  (mine came through on the 24/3/16)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 405 of 633

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Im just going through some of the links as we speak and from what I can see, they have all been updated appart from some of of some strange working outs..If you dont use O2 Travel and use the normal rates.

I will let Toby know, but this is totally needs to change now

"We'll stop charging you for data in Europe if your usage reaches £43 (inc VAT) and you'll be able to use up to 255MB without any additional charges. If you reach 255MB, your data service will stop. To use more you'll need to increase your spending limit to £120 (705MB allowance) by texting DATALIMIT200 to 23336"

So 4.3p x 1MB which is the new rate

255MB x 4.3p = £10.97, So the data should not be stopped at all. 

So by my workings, I should be able to use 1000MB which comes to £43 and not 255MB as per O2

Also £120 should be 2790MB and not 705MB.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 406 of 633

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@GrahamW wrote:

@Martin-O2 Thanks.

Is this page out of date too ?  It talks about in-EU data costs of £3 per MB !

http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/pm/pm_charges_terms.html

@GrahamW I'll flag this page but just refer to the page linked in my previous post for the correct rates. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 408 of 633

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Other networks such as 3 and asda mobile are far better value than o2 travel,

Message 409 of 633

MI5
  • 144505 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
You can't make a sweeping statement such as that as everyone's usage is different.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 410 of 633