Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hinkley Point gets final investment approval

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144506 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

Investment in the first new nuclear plant to be built in the UK in 20 years - at Hinkley Point, Somerset - has secured final approval.

The decision came at a board meeting of French utility EDF - the company financing most of the £18bn project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36903904

Good or bad idea?

Shouldn't there be more investment in renewable energy and nano technology?

Nuclear is already old tech, isn't it?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
As regards the UK, we are small fry when it comes to solar farms.

We have farmers leasing off a few hundred acres for some solar panels to be installed.

In Spain near where I have a property, this is what they have>>>

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/38%C2%B006'11.1%22N+1%C2%B010'03.5%22W/@38.1030873,-1.1697263,57...

Several hundred motorised solar arrays which track the sun and produce God knows how many megawatts per day
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 21 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Beenherebefore & @sheepdog for your above  ^  ^  ^  posts

neither of you post crap ... ... ... well @Beenherebefore has been known to post with his sense of humour to the fore but that isn't what I'm focussing on here

UK in general we don't have the climate for sun panels on rooves, even though Skipton's WMC has panels on its roof to heat the water for the building which has a flat on the top floor

There is global warming no doubt in my book, & it needs adressing, maybe UK climate will warm up sufficiently to make roof solar heating panels effective, but will the polar ice caps have melted by then

personally I would love panels on my stone roof, its the cost ... I believe in our environment & we should take care of it but there has to be a balance with eg domestic heating

Wispa' being nosey ... ... ... Do you live on a remote Scottish island @sheepdog ... no need to answer this question if you choose not to, of course 

Cat

Message 22 of 24

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Wispa' being nosey ... ... ... Do you live on a remote Scottish island @sheepdog ... no need to answer this question if you choose not to, of course 

Cat

Anglesey. Remote enough though Smiley LOL
Message 23 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cat

Anglesey. Remote enough though Smiley LOL

Very nice part of the country I'd say ... have many happy memories of happy family holidays in (Welsh) wink North Wales ... ... ... been as far down mid-Wales to Aberdovey ... ... ... Shell Island, Criccieth, Barmouth, Porthmadog, Harlech, Portmerion (superb), Abersoch, Aberdarron, & the passes ... = ... Aberglasslyn the prettiest ... & ... that one through the slate waste which I can't name atm, been down Llechwedd slate mine & still have souvenier piece of slate the miner wrote on for me when I asked him if he would do ... only been to Tenby in South Wales ... ... ...Tal-y-Bont ... Llanbedrr ... the Talylyn minature railway ... got the name of that slate waste pass now I think = Llanberris? 

A great country ... Can you speak in Welsh? ... I still have a Mivanwe national dress doll from being a kid

& the castles from Caernarfon to the ruins of Beaumaris

Cat

Message 24 of 24