Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hinkley Point gets final investment approval

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

Investment in the first new nuclear plant to be built in the UK in 20 years - at Hinkley Point, Somerset - has secured final approval.

The decision came at a board meeting of French utility EDF - the company financing most of the £18bn project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36903904

Good or bad idea?

Shouldn't there be more investment in renewable energy and nano technology?

Nuclear is already old tech, isn't it?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

A long time......

Precisely - Battery nano tech will be far advanced by then so there is a possibility that everyone could generate and store their own power from solar energy.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 123328 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Not getting into the technology...or alternatives... but I did hear on the news that people living close are very unhappy. No surprise there then...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 123328 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Already suffered a set back. Contracts were to be signed on Friday,. The goverment has delayed this till Autumn http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36903904

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 24

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Anybody surprised ?......new PM, new Chancellor....
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 14 of 24

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:
Anybody surprised ?......new PM, new Chancellor....

No surprise. I'm all for renewable energy personally, much more envoromental friendly and much saffer. Bear in mind that with a completion date of 2025 or later, who knows what the final cost will be?

As touched on, advancements in renewable energy in 10 years time may well far exceed the 7% quoted and maybe cheaper. Or maybe not....

Message 15 of 24

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
No surprise on the delay at all
Message 16 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 123328 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

The CEO was a tad upset this morning though.....he tried to be professional...but I guessed he was holding back...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 24

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I'm sure when the brown envelopes get posted all will be approved......:smileywink:

Message 18 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I'm sure when the brown envelopes get posted all will be approved......:smileywink:

LOL

I'm interested in this nano battery power generating thing which @MI5 has mentioned above  ^  ^  ^  ... & ... yes I will Google it ... slight_smile ... personally, wind & wave power havn't done that much imho despite me supporting environmentally friendly stuff

In the rather quaint town of Skipton, North Yorkshire where I live there are more than several houses with solar heating panels on their roofs

I can't see Hinkley Point being up & running in my lifetime, I'm 62, & I'm not bothered for myself but I am for future generations

Message 19 of 24

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

2025 is what, 7 years from now and if the circumstances are right, thats way too optimistic. 10 minimum really given the safety standards required (do a weld and lets  have an x-ray it to check...) but I'd say 15 is more like it.

Nuclear and renewables are part of the energy picture for me. I'm on an island where both are happening - a new nuclear power station, off-shore wind farms, tidal power and I believe a small solar farm! Yet ironically all have protest groups that offer no joined-up alternatives: the no nuclear group suggest to have a wind farm but the wind farm protesters don't want them spoiling the sight and the tidal protests don't want any of it due to wildlife. Lets not forget the pylon protesters.....but for once the council are ignoring it all as its providing the island with an influx of long term quality jobs and industry which is a fact that none of the groups seem to take into account as they don't want to see the bigger picture. 

Its not all about jobs but the investment into alternatives should have been done years ago rather than the short term need we've found ourselves in due to poor forward planning by governments. In other words, we need to make compromises into what we want or we'll find global events, both political and climate, will dictate how many layers of clothing we'll be wearing in the winter.

Sheepdog in "power on" mode

Message 20 of 24