cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unfair default on O2 account

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I need some help and advise please......

Recently my partner checked his Experian credit report as we are applying for a mortgage soon and upon checking this he saw that he had a default on his account from O2 going back nearly 2 years.  He left O2 and went to 3, when doing this there was an outstanding balance left on his account which he did not realise.  As soon as he realised this he called up and paid the £58.00 immediately, we then went on to contact O2 as he had never being made aware that he owed the money, he has never owed money before and had a perfect credit rating now thanks to the absolute space cadets that are O2 we are now going to struggle to get a new home.  They not once have tried to ask for the money back and considering they are a telecommunications company I think it is pathetic.  I have being in contact with all sorts of departments from credit referrals, web team, customer service and now complaints review.  Please can someone help me as all we want is the default form the account removed as it is completely unfair, how are you meant to pay a bill which you do not know about??  To say I am angry and at the end of my tether would be an understatement and would like some advice as to what route to take next.  I have read many articles online where O2 have done exactly the same thing to other people and they have removed the default.  O2’s customer service is shocking and I would never return to this big bully company, when the new iphone 6 comes out I shall most defiantly be moving to EE.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated slight_smile

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It's also possible the application for a mortgage won't be declined for one default.

Rose coloured spectacles!!....

It is most likely to be refused fo one default, sadly.

@Anonymous has more knowledge of this than me so hopefully he will be along at some point to pass on his advice......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's not good.

Theirs got to be people out their without 100% clean credit files who have completed on a mortgage.
Message 12 of 43

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
It's most unfair but since the banking crisis the lending rules have changed dramatically and it's almost impossible to get a loan with a 100% credit record let alone having a default - It will come down to the lender ultimately but Nick will give you some tips on how you can help yourself.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous @Anonymous @MI5

This issue keeps reoccurring on here and it is fair to say is something o2 should look at. @Toby @Anonymous this is also for you.

Ok so the guidance is as follows. ....

1. Banks are under no obligation to lend money to anyone. But it is their core business and is of course how they make money.

So what can you do?

1. No point in contacting o2 over this as feedback elsewhere is that they will say it wasn't paid so tough wotsits.

HOWEVER o2 MUST show evidence that they have contacted the debtor to attempt to recover the debt. This can be in the form of emails, letters or calls.
Other posters on this site indicate that o2 have not been in contact.

To check if o2 did make ANY attempt to contact you please contact O2 customer services as. They are obliged to inform you. If they refuse to do so you can send in a request for a copy of all data they hold. It costs £10 and can take up to 28 days. O2 MUST action this as it is a STATUTORY REQUIREMENT.

2. If O2 failed to make any contact you are able to contact Experian and ask for a NOTICE OF CORRECTION to be applied to your Credit Record. This will not remove the default but enables you to put your side of the story on your credit report.

3. Note you can put a Notice of Correction up anyway but o2 can challenge it if they tried to contact you.

Of course these things take time. And there isn't much you can do to speed it up.

In the short term my advice would be to go back to your lender and respectfully provide the information and proof it has been paid. If your record is otherwise clean with no other defaults or issues most lenders are likely to overlook it. But they are under no obligation.

A final option but again it takes time would be to seems a complaint to
complaintreviewservice@o2.com for them to investigate. Experience tells us that o2 will stick to their guns of course. If though they are unable to prove they tried to contact you about the debt then o2 could be in serious trouble. Indeed if you can prove it you could take legal action against them as they will have caused you severe detriment. A solicitor or CAB would advise you on that.

I hope this is helpful. If you need more please repost including @Anonymous in your post so i get a notification and i will try to assist.

Good luck
Message 14 of 43

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Thanks Nick - Good useful post mate wink

Currently using:
Message 15 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nick ~ @Anonymous

Thank you for your insights.

I'm happy to hear that in your opinion "If your record is otherwise clean with no other defaults or issues most lenders are likely to overlook it. But they are under no obligation."

My thoughts are also that if a single default is on a persons credit file this shouldn't always mean a refusal.
Message 16 of 43

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
I'm sure the OP will let us know how they get on and if any future lending has been successful or not....

Currently using:
Message 17 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish @Anonymous and partner well and very good luck.
Message 18 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too wish @Anonymous all the very best luck with this. I have given guidance to a couple of others on here about this and they have i believe been successful but it is lender specific.

However in reality i find it TOTALLY ASTOUNDING that o2 feel they can destroy someone's otherwise perfectly good credit record without making reasonable attempts to recover the debt. I will look into this and check the legal side of it and if i find anything will feed back on here.
Message 19 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 123226 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I too wish @Anonymous all the very best luck with this. I have given guidance to a couple of others on here about this and they have i believe been successful but it is lender specific.

However in reality i find it TOTALLY ASTOUNDING that o2 feel they can destroy someone's otherwise perfectly good credit record without making reasonable attempts to recover the debt. I will look into this and check the legal side of it and if i find anything will feed back on here.

That would be helpful if you could @Anonymous . Sadly this is a problem affecting many people and it is good to have this sort of advice. Thank you

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 43