cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it mandatory in the O2 Community to have the PM function turned on?   The "Guidelines" are silent on the matter.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Gerry,

Its entirely your choice whether to have them turned on or not. slight_smile

The only issue being that if anything is ever edited or removed from a member's account who has disabled PMs, they are not able to receive any kind of explanation as to why certain actions are taken by the community team. I would personally not recommend turning them off for this reason.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby

To clarify if a member disables the pm option does that mean you , the team and moderators cannot Private Message a member at all ?
Message 12 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Toby

To clarify if a member disables the pm option does that mean you , the team and moderators cannot Private Message a member at all ?

Sorry to butt in on a message specifically addressed to another, but we are talking about O2 here, are we not? So if there is anything of importance that O2 wishes to communicate to one of its customers then presumably O2 could resaonably be expected to use SMS or email to do so. 

Message 13 of 36

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

If a member has any issues that need to addressed regarding the community, it will occur via PM. SMSs and emails are not a part of this process and won't be for the foreseeable future.

@Anonymous , the team cannot override a disabled PM option.

Get involved:

Message 14 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

If a member has any issues that need to addressed regarding the community, it will occur via PM. SMSs and emails are not a part of this process and won't be for the foreseeable future.

If we turn on the PM feature we can also elect to receive an email notification of any new PMs sent to us,  but apparently we cannot receive the PM information by email.  No doubt there is some technologiclly obscure reason for such backwardness. 

Message 15 of 36

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi Gerry,

It would potentially open up a new email address system that members and other customers would try to contact us through regularly with customer service queries that we could not answer due to our time being spent on the community.

If you would like a PM, simply keep them enabled slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 16 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see @Gerry's ideal here. If a PM is received and an email is sent to notify that there is a PM could the content not be included with that email.

We would still need to log in to community to respond.

Shouldn't be too hard should it?
Message 17 of 36

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It does on the Xperia forum and they use lithium.
You get the email informing you of the pm and shows the pm within the email.
Message 18 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123046 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Now that sound a good idea. Getting PMs from here is the only time you need to log on to read them.

You don't have to log on to read any other post on threads you subscribe to.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 36

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I always find it annoying that I get an email saying I have a PM, so I have to log in to view it, sometimes when I have only just logged out.  I agree that we should be able to see the message in the email notification.  Some PM's are more important, such as from admin, and they should be read first. 

Message 20 of 36