cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 bail out of pop3 e-mail services and marketing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: O2 to close e-mail service in June 2016

I have tried to speak/e-mail O2 direct, however, it is an impossible task, you only get automated, none question answering response systems or a 'chat' advisor that who is just reading from a prepared crib sheet.

When O2 sold their broadband to Sky and transferred its broadband customers, it was promised that the o2 e-mail accounts would be preserved and supported.  I have an O2 mobile phone account and e-mail.  If O2 break there promise to preserve the SMPT pop 3 e-mail service... then I shall end my account with O2 altogether.  O2 will have lost a customer. 

How can a supposedly major world networking company like O2 not maintain an e-mail facility!  E-mailing is not yet obsolete in this age of texting, Skype and social media.  For serious communications and forum feedback it is still the preferred medium.  O2 is making a BIG mistake by dropping it's e-mail servers.  For gawds sake how much investment and man-power does it take to maintain an SMPT pop 3 server.  If O2 is that hard up for money and resources it must be close to being on its knee's. 

Think of the advertising coverage that you are losing by not having your 'O2' brand logo on millions of e-mails networking the world!  Perhaps you should be asking your marketing people before you pull the plug on the O2 e-mail, the cost of maintaining it must be nominal, the returns in advertising and company presence is priceless... let alone as a doorway for people to sign up to a 4G O2 phone contract.   Certainly Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook), Google (Gmail) and Yahoo are spreading their brand name by encouraging users to sign up with branded web-based e-mail accounts.

Possibly O2 have the wrong people making these decisions... I know if I was head of O2 marketing I would be spitting nails at such a proposal to diminish the O2 profile.

JamesH

On 09-Mar-16 5:21 PM, O2 wrote:

O2 closing down e-mail serves for its cusomers on June 7th 2016

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145160 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions

There aren't millions using o2 webmail so unlikely that will happen.
They shut it down for anyone who didn't migrate to Sky BB 3 years ago.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 11 of 28

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Email alone is never sufficient reason to go with a network provider. Leaving is your perogative but you need to make sure another network gives you good coverage in your home, office and travelling locale. If you are happy with coverage then yes, change by all means but O2 do have the advantage of Refresh and TuGo.

Message 12 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was an o2 customer but it was transfered to Sky.

Since then I have been using o2 Pop3 (in Outlook) and the webmail when away from home.

I have just discovered (26-06-2016) that the webmail is not there anymore.

On ringing o2 I have just been told it has shut down. There were no emails from o2 or any indication from Sky about this.

Message 13 of 28

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 14 of 28

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

This has been coming for years. No one can say they were unaware given the national press, emails and texts widely distributed by O2. You are the first to openly complain here so you have noteriety. Sorry but no sympathy from me as it's been well publicised for years since O2 stopped broadband. Hope you manage to get any important stuff stored in O2 email............

Message 15 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

This link is probably useless to you now @Anonymous...but O2 provided this way back in March when the closure was announced (for the umpteenth time)...

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/digital-services/o2-email-closure-transferring-your-contacts

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 28

MI5
  • 145160 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I was an o2 customer but it was transfered to Sky.

Since then I have been using o2 Pop3 (in Outlook) and the webmail when away from home.

I have just discovered (26-06-2016) that the webmail is not there anymore.

On ringing o2 I have just been told it has shut down. There were no emails from o2 or any indication from Sky about this.

If you send a private message to @Toby he may be able to help you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 17 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

This link is probably useless to you now @Anonymous...but O2 provided this way back in March when the closure was announced (for the umpteenth time)...

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/digital-services/o2-email-closure-transferring-your-contacts

And actually discovered the link I shared comes up with an error...so I think that means its gone now..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 28

MI5
  • 145160 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions
Prob took it down when the webmail closed.....

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 19 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Prob took it down when the webmail closed.....

Yes even though it went past the 22nd ...it seems no more help to be given now...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 28