Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Guide] eSim from iPhone-to-iPhone: Sep 2023 method

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I know this has been asked before a lot, but I want to check the current Sep 2023 options available for O2 customers. This is important this year for the 15-series iPhones as they might be eSim-only models, as the 14-series iPhones sold in the US were already eSim only

Q: Which of Apple's approved eSim swapping methods currently work? 

See here where they describe them: "About eSIM on iPhone"

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212780 

That article describes the several methods:

1. eSIM Carrier Activation 

2. eSIM Quick Transfer 

3. Scan a QR code or use a network provider app 

4. Enter the eSIM information manually 

Am I correct in thinking all O2 users still have to use method 3. "Scan a QR code or use a network provider app" – more precisely the beginning bit of that sentence "Scan a QR code"? And to be clear, the only way to do this is by getting a new physical eSim pack (from either an O2 Store or phoning O2 customer services to post you one)? 

Also, please note here that the O2 Help currently has place-holder info here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim 

Which says this: 

"We’re making some improvements to our systems and you may notice some changes once this is complete. We may ask you to provide your phone number so that we can help you access the most relevant support content.

^ This answer can be seen under many questions on that page including these ones: 

- "Upgrading my device with esim?" 

- "Can I use the My O2 app to install an esim on my Android or iPhone device?" 

- "How do I download an esim onto my iPhone?" 

- "I’ve accidently deleted my esim from my phone, what do I do?" 

- "Can I reuse my QR code?" 

- "Can I use my QR code with another phone?" 

- "What do I need to do when I upgrade or change my phone?" 

- "How do I move my current mobile number onto my new esim?" 

Please be as precise as possible in answering so those unfamiliar with the whole process are not left with lingering questions. Thanks!  🙂 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Well the iPhone 15 event came and went. And low and behold all non-US 15-series models still have physical sim slots (along with the eSim options) that the previous 14-series have. 

Still, those on O2's legacy system still look like we need physical eSim packs, so it's essentially the same situation anyway, lol! 

Message 21 of 25

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6639 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

To remove the physical SIM would seriously reduce sales in the likes of the UK where many people use MNVO's  which don't issue eSIMs.

Still it's got Usb C (but slower data transfer than my android).

Hopefully the EU will force them to accept RCS next 😉

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 22 of 25

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

re. eSim: 

Sure, but over the next year (maybe two) most carriers will offer eSim including MNVO's, or will be left behind in the premium phone market. Also the eSim installation options (like Apple's ones) will be implemented properly by more carriers, making it quicker and easier to do (O2 legacy system users having to get a physical eSim pack is a crap method!). 

So Apple are likely just gently nudging the industry along slowly for another couple of years until they finally pull the plug on the non-US phones they sell and make them eSim only like the US ones are currently. 

re. RCS: that'll be interesting. 

re. USB-C:

The 16 Pro's will likely increase to 20-40 Gbps (doubt Thunderbolt 5's 80 Gpbs just yet, given it's just only been announced and not even on Macs yet!). Or maybe stepped, so 16 Pro's get 20Gbps, then the 17 Pro's get 40Gbps, etc. 

Anyway, I just tel'd O2 and they said yes I need a new physical eSim pack, which they're posting to me. 

Message 23 of 25

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6639 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

From hints on here, everyone should be moved onto the new billing system before the next iPhone release

I found it easy to move from my old phone to the new without having the trouble of contacting O2 or going into shops.

Probably took 5 minutes tops

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 24 of 25

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

You're not on the legacy system though, so have it easy, lol! 

Yes, "early 2024" is confirmed for switch-over completion timeframe: Permalink 

Message 25 of 25