Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Guide] eSim from iPhone-to-iPhone: Sep 2023 method

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I know this has been asked before a lot, but I want to check the current Sep 2023 options available for O2 customers. This is important this year for the 15-series iPhones as they might be eSim-only models, as the 14-series iPhones sold in the US were already eSim only

Q: Which of Apple's approved eSim swapping methods currently work? 

See here where they describe them: "About eSIM on iPhone"

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212780 

That article describes the several methods:

1. eSIM Carrier Activation 

2. eSIM Quick Transfer 

3. Scan a QR code or use a network provider app 

4. Enter the eSIM information manually 

Am I correct in thinking all O2 users still have to use method 3. "Scan a QR code or use a network provider app" – more precisely the beginning bit of that sentence "Scan a QR code"? And to be clear, the only way to do this is by getting a new physical eSim pack (from either an O2 Store or phoning O2 customer services to post you one)? 

Also, please note here that the O2 Help currently has place-holder info here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim 

Which says this: 

"We’re making some improvements to our systems and you may notice some changes once this is complete. We may ask you to provide your phone number so that we can help you access the most relevant support content.

^ This answer can be seen under many questions on that page including these ones: 

- "Upgrading my device with esim?" 

- "Can I use the My O2 app to install an esim on my Android or iPhone device?" 

- "How do I download an esim onto my iPhone?" 

- "I’ve accidently deleted my esim from my phone, what do I do?" 

- "Can I reuse my QR code?" 

- "Can I use my QR code with another phone?" 

- "What do I need to do when I upgrade or change my phone?" 

- "How do I move my current mobile number onto my new esim?" 

Please be as precise as possible in answering so those unfamiliar with the whole process are not left with lingering questions. Thanks!  🙂 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Well I presume I've likely answered my own question... 

Still the only way: You need a NEW physical QR eSim pack? 

If that is the case, it's a bit bonkers in this day and age to still need a physical item for an eSim swap! (although they do say they're working on an MyO2 app method in the info below.) 

Updated info, after signing-in: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Also, please also note here that the O2 Help currently has place-holder info here, until you login with your mobile numberhttps://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim 

Which says this: 

"We’re making some improvements to our systems and you may notice some changes once this is complete. We may ask you to provide your phone number so that we can help you access the most relevant support content.

^ This answer can be seen under many questions on that page including these ones, until you login and get different answers (see the ones I personally got underneath each question below): 

- Upgrading my device with esim? 

Unlike a regular plastic sim card, esim profiles cannot be moved from one device to another. This is mainly done for security reasons to prevent esim profiles from being copied.

This is all covered in the FAQs on this page. Having your old device with its esim profile available so we can send you some SMS messages when upgrading will make the whole process quicker and easier.

Once you have moved to your new device and copied across all your data you can go ahead and remove the old sim profile.

- Can I use the My O2 app to install an esim on my Android or iPhone device? 

We are working on adding support to install esims on devices using the My O2 app. In the meantime please use one of the other methods to install your esim.

- How do I download an esim onto my iPhone? 

To download your esim profile onto your iPhone using the QR code:

• Make sure your iPhone is connected to wifi
  • Find your QR code in your esim pack
  • Go to Settings > Mobile Data
  • On the ‘Mobile Data’ screen select ‘Add esim’
  • Ignore any options to transfer numbers and select ‘Other Options’
  • At the ‘Set Up Mobile Service’ screen choose ‘Use QR Code’
  • Use your phone’s camera to scan the QR code. Then confirm by pressing ‘Add Data Plan’
  • As part of the setup you'll be able to assign a name to each mobile number and also choose which mobile number to use by default for data, calls and texts
  • You can change these settings whenever you like by going to Settings > Mobile Data > Default Voice Line / Mobile Data.

- I’ve accidently deleted my esim from my phone, what do I do? 

If you’ve accidently deleted the esim profile from your phone, don’t panic.

If you still have your esim pack, you can download the esim profile again onto the same phone.

If you don’t have your esim pack anymore, you'll need a new one. To do this, contact us [https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus] or pop in to your local O2 store.

- Can I reuse my QR code? 

If you need to, you can use your QR code two more times with the same phone, after the initial download.

- Can I use my QR code with another phone? 

No, once you've used your QR code with a phone, the esim profile is locked to that phone.  If you're moving to a new phone, you'll need to get a new esim pack and swap your number over from your old esim profile.

- What do I need to do when I upgrade or change my phone? 

If you are upgrading or changing your phone, you will need to request a NEW 4G or 5G sim pack. If the phone you are moving to supports esim then you will need an esim pack. If not, you will need to request a regular plastic sim. You will then need to download the esim or insert the plastic sim into your new phone. You will then need to do a sim swap from your existing esim to the new plastic sim or esim you just inserted/downloaded to your new device.

- How do I move my current mobile number onto my new esim? 

You can move your mobile number across once you’ve completed the esim download and setup.

You’ll need the Sim Serial Number (SSN) for your new esim profile, which is printed on the back of your esim pack. You'll also need your current sim so we can send you a security text.

Once you’ve submitted your sim swap request, it can take up to 24 hours to complete. Within this timeframe you may find that not everything, ie text, voice calls and data, starts at the same time.

If you don’t have access to your current sim then you’ll need to call us or pop into your local O2 store.

So there you have it. A current September 2023 eSim swap guide of sorts (hence me changing the thread title to "Guide"). 😐 

Presumably O2 are still cutting-off users current eSim as soon as they order (or get in-store) any new eSim pack... or has that been fixed so it doesn't happen now? 

Message 2 of 25

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6817 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1524 Solutions

I swapped Esim between an S20 plus and an S23 Plus using the SIM Swap function in the new 360 system 

Made the request from the new phone and gave the reason as New Technology. The replacement ESim was downloaded to the phone with no need for a QR code

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 25

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

..."the new 360 system" 

What's the 360 system? 

Message 4 of 25

Enlli
  • 6817 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1524 Solutions

New Customer Management and Account system being slowly introduced.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 25

Enlli
  • 6817 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1524 Solutions

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/O2-System-Updates-360/m-p/1598402#M39424

Message 6 of 25

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

New Customer Management and Account system being slowly introduced.

Yep I see, thanks. Found a thread here: O2 System Updates – 360.

@Enlli wrote:

Made the request from the new phone and gave the reason as New Technology. The replacement ESim was downloaded to the phone with no need for a QR code

For users on 360, the question then is whether your method above is this available for iPhones, and if so whether that's intentional or a security glitch that shouldn't happen? 

Where is that "New Technology" thing you mention? 

Message 7 of 25

Enlli
  • 6817 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1524 Solutions

No idea about iPhones nobody in either my close or extended family has one for me to play with 

Sorry it's Technoloy Change refers to changing from one device to another. 

Screenshot_20230831_192710_My O2.jpg

Message 8 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

How has a series of questions become a guide

The questions need to be answered before it's a guide

Message 9 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145120 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27848 Solutions

The OP named it as such.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 25