cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my iPhone 5 be locked to O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Considering joining Vodafone at end of contract. 2 questions: will my iPhone 5s be locked to O2, is there a chance 02 would match the 15% discount on a contract I can get elsewhere?
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144780 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
Yes, there is a good chance it's locked.
Unlocking help here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
Call CS and discuss your options for renewal and any discounts - Unless you ask, you won't know....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unless you bought the iPhone from Stoke directly then the device will lock to the first sim card put in so yes it will bet locked.

You can ask o2 to unlock it for free as a contract customer
Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144780 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
Yes, there is a good chance it's locked.
Unlocking help here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
Call CS and discuss your options for renewal and any discounts - Unless you ask, you won't know....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it will be locked to O2. You can get it unlocked for free, you could call retentions to see if they offer you anything
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are happy with o2 generally then I would definitely ask the question of retentions.

If refresh is not important to you then you may also want to think about upgrading with o2 at Carphone Warehouse as they do some good deals from time to time.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
But don't forget that if you upgrade via CPW then you won't be able to have a refresh tariff as those are only through O2 directly, you'll be on a standard 24 month contract with a subsidied handset plus any perks that may come with the particular deal
Message 6 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23173 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

Also check that the signal and coverage where you spend the most time, i.e. your home and workplace, are as good or better with Vodafone as you are currently getting with O2.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
But don't forget that if you upgrade via CPW then you won't be able to have a refresh tariff as those are only through O2 directly, you'll be on a standard 24 month contract with a subsidied handset plus any perks that may come with the particular deal

Isn't that what I said?  "If refresh isn't important to you. ..."?

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm just elaborating & expanding the answer so as to be clear for the op
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okly doklies. I shall endeavour to be clearer in future 😆😆😆😆
Message 10 of 13