cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking my phone, Iphone 4 problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I rang o2 two weeks ago and asked them to unlock my Iphone 4 as I was moving to Australia, and they told me that they would. The lady on the phone told me it could be up to a week before it'd be unlocked however.

Now I'm in Australia I've been unable to use my new simcard as my phone is still locked. Before I get in touch with o2, I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there's anything I need to do to complete the process? I was told it would happen automatically.

Not sure if it will make any difference, but I've currently got my new sim card in my phone and I've reset the network settings, just to see if that worked. Just curious as to whether I may have disrupted the unlocking process by doing this or something. Sounds like I'll have to get in touch with o2 again and get them to unlock it, but then I'm without a phone for another week :{.

Cheers for any help,
Mark

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the post he had it in the beginning, and the unlocking request shouldn't take more than 72h... so either he got the txt/email and didnt' realize or it's gone wrong....

Message 11 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on the post he had it in the beginning, and the unlocking request shouldn't take more than 72h... so either he got the txt/email and didnt' realize or it's gone wrong....

Toss of a coin then wink

Message 12 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123020 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The iPhone 4 requires a connection to iTunes to complete the unlock process.
If Apple have actioned the request, iTunes will complete it.

Can you clarify something for me @MI5 please?

Before I answered the OP this morning I asked an iPhone user for advice. He said

"Apple changed to allow mobile activation of iphones and dropped the must use itunes to activate.
(That's why I didn't include the iTune advice) Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123020 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hence my earlier reply to contact CS again. it should be on his records as he contacted them initially to unlock it for him...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 21

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Before I answered the OP this morning I asked an iPhone user for advice. He said

"Apple changed to allow mobile activation of iphones and dropped the must use itunes to activate.

My understanding is that is applicable from iOS6 and the iP5 onwards only so wouldn't apply to an iP4......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123020 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

My understanding is that is applicable from iOS6 and the iP5 onwards only so wouldn't apply to an iP4......

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

So...here you go ...is there no way an iPhone 4 could (or would) be updated to iOS 6?....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123020 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Apologies for the above. It was such a good question...it appears to have posted 'itself' twice  Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 21

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions
Actually I think the 4 can get ios7 but I seem to recall the ota unlock only applies from 5 onwards........
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123020 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Actually I think the 4 can get ios7 but I seem to recall the ota unlock only applies from 5 onwards........

Thank you. I won't push my knowledge base anymore on Apple related products...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

7.1.2, so spot on @MI5 !

Message 20 of 21