cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing voicemail messages after O2 sim swap from iPhone 4 to 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just been given an iPhone 5 and so swapped sims with my iPhone 4 and transferred all the data using iTunes back-up. Unfortunately only about 10 recent voicemail messages have transferred, whereas those on my iPhone 4 (all still there) go back to 2012, just before my husband became seriously ill. I then tried to restore them via iCloud backup, with exactly the same results. What can I do to retrieve them? If v/m messages can't be transferred, why isn't there a warning? Needless to say I've rung O2, the carrier, today, with no success. All suggestions gratefully received.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions

It's possible they are stored on the sim but I'm not an iPhone expert so Ill flag it for @Anonymous who is an iPhone user to assist.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much MI5.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there

As far as I can see you turn on iCloud, is the phone with the voicemails backed up to the computer? & wifi then do a restore to your new iPhone via iCloud
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have visual voicemail
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You did a full back up to to iTunes? Anything stored on the sim should be saved to the phone before backing up. 

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
I've Googled this a bit and found that voice messages are not backed up anywhere, but they are stored on the networks servers.
An article on the Apple forum suggests this:
" Just go into visual voicemail and in the message list just scroll down to the bottom of the list. You should see a button labeled as "deleted messages", tap the button and a list messages will show. "
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
The same process mentioned here http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/16/iphone-101-recovering-deleted-voicemails/

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. Unfortunately I think this refers to retrieving deleted voicemails, whereas mine were never deleted. They just vanished when I swapped phones. Curiously my text messages remain intact, as do my contacts.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous that is because they were backed up to iTunes
Message 10 of 12