cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High data usage in iPhone 6 iOS 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone experiencing high data usage on iOS 8?

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5, and would use around 500mb per month. Since upgrading to an iPhone 6 I am currenly using around 300mb a day - with only safari browsing. I have restored the phone and turned off iTunes store (apple id) and iCloud. I have no apps installed, and yet I get this high data use.

I have even put my sim in my old phone and data is still draining!

Anyone have any ideas  - surely this is an O2 issue?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Have you upgraded yet to 8.0.2 as I believe this addresses issues you are experiencing.

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes its upgarded to 8.0.2.

Surely if Im getting the same problem in my old phone then its an O2 issue?

Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would appear so then.

This link is predominantly battery saving tips but some of them do double up as data saving too.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/iOS-8-Battery-Saving-Tips/m-p/759681/highlight/true#M33337

Speak to o2 Customer Services to ensure your on iData settings.

A sim swap which can be carried out by any O2 shop may help.
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice and link.

I have just got of phone with Customer Services. They checked my settings and they were correct. They agreed that the high usage was not correct or normal, but were unable to provide a solution - except contact Apple and see if they would run a diagnostic. 

They did replace the 100mb that was consumed wihtin an hour this morning when I opened Safari and checked a few pages!

Message 5 of 23

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

That is a bit strange.

I check my data usage regularly to make sure there are no peaks in it.

I remember my friend had a similar problem to this (but she was on EE) and they advised her to download a third party app which tells you exactly what app uses what data - she then compared the data to what it said on the phone (in the usage settings) and they were very different.  She went back to EE with this information and they added more data to her allowance whilst they recified the problem.

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
What does the data counter in the phone say ?
Message 7 of 23

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
So the 2 year old high unexplained data usage still hasn't been fixed then.......?
It's an Apple issue as it has been reported all over the internet on many networks since iOS6 but Apple won't admit it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 23

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

You would have thought after all this time Apple would admit to the problem but because it doesn't affect everyone they are in constant denial.

Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
People are experiencing different levels of data usage definitely.

Mine is fine and consistent as you know.

Message 10 of 23