cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU Internet - I'm desperate

Anonymous
Not applicable

i bought my own Iphone 5s in November.  I also bought o2 travel for Europe.  I travel to German very often for work but am now unable to access emails, internet etc and I can't even use the phone to make calls (except Wifi).  I have spent hours and hours arguing with the 02 store here in London and hours and hours online talking to Gurus and they all say it is the providers fault.

1.  the provider is O2 de.

2.  the screen say I am connected to 3G but still nothing works.

3. I get a message saying "could not activate cellular data network" for email and "EU internet data plan required" for everything else.

I even got told that the guru could see that my phone is roaming!  How can that be when I can't get online at all?

I am pretty desperate now, as I cannot even phone from the airport if there is a delay.  Any ideas gratefully received.  Including changing my provider after 15 years.

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123272 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

I don't know if this is of help but doing a Google search it appears that EU Internet is causing problems?

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/148188/what-does-the-eu-internet-switch-do-on-my-iphone-5s

One poster was advised to turn it off. If you scroll down you will see this post

"On a recent trip to France I found that enabling 'EU Internet' and data roaming did not work (no internet connection), but turning 'EU Internet' option off, allowed the regular Data roaming to work.

Today, I received a txt from Vodafone confirming this and, telling all IOS8 users to turn this feature off (even if they are in Europe)... so it may well be for a future feature, but it's not working (at least for Vodafone customers) just yet - perhaps Vodafone are waiting for the legislation to kick in, and till then we just have to put up with regular Data Roaming charges!"

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
I'm assuming everything works OK in the UK?
If so, it has to be your account that isn't provisioned for roaming.
You could also try a manual network search and choose a different network to O2-DE but if it's account based that won't work either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Everythings works fine in the UK and the US (£136 bill for last month!). I have tried choosing a different provider manually - and as requested by the gurus.  But I get absolutely nothing - I've tried Telekom, EE and Vodaphone.  Nada.  Nothing.  I find it strange that I can't make calls either.  I actually did manage to make a call on the second day of my visit this time.  But no email, no internet.  Plus I couldn't even get through to 202 at first.  The gurus have had me resetting things but none of it has any effect.  And how can it be that the guru tells me he can see the phone roaming when i can't even use it?

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add insult to injury, i have just discovered that I am being charged £1.66 per day for a service which I can't use!!!

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 144834 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

Honestly, I've no idea and the fact that it works OK in the US is a mystery too.
I would have suggested a local issue with O2-DE but the fact that no other network connects is a mystery too.
I don't suppose you can try your sim in a different phone at all to see if it's phone related?

Also, just had a thought, have you got 4G enabled in settings?

Can you try it on 3G setting instead?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123272 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

I don't know if this is of help but doing a Google search it appears that EU Internet is causing problems?

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/148188/what-does-the-eu-internet-switch-do-on-my-iphone-5s

One poster was advised to turn it off. If you scroll down you will see this post

"On a recent trip to France I found that enabling 'EU Internet' and data roaming did not work (no internet connection), but turning 'EU Internet' option off, allowed the regular Data roaming to work.

Today, I received a txt from Vodafone confirming this and, telling all IOS8 users to turn this feature off (even if they are in Europe)... so it may well be for a future feature, but it's not working (at least for Vodafone customers) just yet - perhaps Vodafone are waiting for the legislation to kick in, and till then we just have to put up with regular Data Roaming charges!"

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
^ That there be a solution in waiting ^
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually have screen shots where it can clearly be seen I am connected to 02 de 3G but I get a notification that an "EU Internet Data plan" is required (that is what I am paying the £1.66 per day for!).  If I turn off EU internet presumably I am losing the plan (and the plot....) I also have a screen shot of my browser, where it can be seen that I am connected to 02 de 3G but get a notification that "could not activate cellular data network".  I have been asked by the gurus to resent the settings, dance on my head, etc.  I have no issues anywhere else.  ANd surely if the phone is telling me that I am connected to 02 de 3G I must be so connected.  If I try manually selecting Vodaphone, EE or Telekom i get absolutely nothing at all ( I have a screen shot of that too).  My husband was in the same place all the time with Vodaphone and had no problems whatsoever.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - I've just looked at this and it might well be that it sets up a conflict with the 02 travel plan that means I can't use the phoen.  i will definitely try this next time I am in Germany.  Very grateful.  If this doesnt work I will shut the account and change the provider as life is far too short to be dealing with Gurus who clearly don't believe that there is a problem.  One of them told me just now that everything is fine at their end so goodbye.  Very helpful

Message 9 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Gurus eh, :rolleyes:
Message 10 of 15