cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iPhone 4 and my 3G is really really slow. It never used to be until I added a bolt on where I get more data a month.

Anyone know the reason why?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

That should not make any differance.

Have you tried all the usual trouble shooting eg clean sim reset handset etc?

Also check for local issues http://status.o2.co.uk

But if after doing usual things and no local issues I would ring customer services and explain the issue. 202 pay monthly 4445 payg 8002 business customers

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

That should not make any differance.

Have you tried all the usual trouble shooting eg clean sim reset handset etc?

Also check for local issues http://status.o2.co.uk

But if after doing usual things and no local issues I would ring customer services and explain the issue. 202 pay monthly 4445 payg 8002 business customers

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have been experiencing similar problem for the past 3 weeks and didn't do anything different to my mobile (Sony Experia S). My 3G has been very slow or sometimes doesn't work. I chatted to an advisor online 2 weeks ago and she claimed they are working on the signal in our area (Sheffield) and should be sorted asap, but I had the same problem in Malton and Barnsley as well. I have taken SIM out and cleaned it several times and restarted phone and nothing has worked. Anybody else has the same problem in Sheffield - we live South of Sheffield.

We also checked the local network and it said running fine but they have been 'working on the phone masts in this area for the past 24 hours' (not sure when this past 24 hours started from!). I'm wondering if the launch of 4G has any impact on current 3G connectivity? Also, when I did a search for available network operators on my mobile only O2 2G appears.

Cheers.

Cheers,

Ran

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It seems O2 are aware of the problem but 4G shouldn't be affecting you as they are rolling it out to Leeds and Bradford first. Live results show as below so hopefully you should be back to normal soon.

Live results for Sheffield, City and Borough of Sheffield

Sorry we are experiencing high service demand in this area
A mast close to your location is experiencing a high level of demand for service. This can cause intermittent service for calls, texts and data. We’re working to improve it as quickly as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Updated 21:03 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm experiencing it in Coventry as well. Its very frustrating making services unreliable. How long is this gonna last? Last time I spoke to an advisor online she said they do not have any timescales on resolving the phone masts issue and its only in Yorkshire. It's definely not just in Yorkshire cos I'm experiencing it in Midlands. I dont want to have no access to 3G on a contract which I paid specifically for data connection and tied to next September. I am being fobbed off by O2 saying engineers are working on it asap but this has been 6 weeks!
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I was travelling between Coventry and Derby this weekend and my 3G totally dropped out which caused me problems with internet, apps and text messages. I just spoke to an advisor who told me to send the phone to be checked, but as this is happening to other people I don't think sending it off is going to do me any favours. I'm on wifi most of the time, but having a phone that's going to be totally useless whenever I can't connect is going to be highly frustrating!

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too am having 3G issues. Just moved jobs and seems that the entire area has no 3G signal on my iPhone 5.  I've just renewed 24 month contract (before switching jobs) and so far I am completely unable to use my phone to do anything but call; even sms messages are taking an age (imessage).  This is draining my battery so having to recharge halfway through the day and then again at night.  I have done a network check and it confirms that there is no 3G signal in the area, but all other networks appear to have good outdoor and indoor coverage, so why is O2s so bad?  I don't intend leaving this job anytime soon so wondering if O2 will be improving the signal?  Otherwise I'm going to have to jump ship as its ridiculous that when everyone else on other networks are able to get coverage, I am not, but am tied into a contract for which I am paying every month for 2GB data that I simply am not using.

Message 7 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't intend leaving this job anytime soon so wondering if O2 will be improving the signal?

O2 are now getting into mast sharing with Vodafone and are committed to 98% indoor coverage of the population by 2015 (2 years ahead of time).

As the 4G is being brought in the coverage of 2G and 3G are being improved too.

So hopefully your signal should get better and soon.

If you have wi-fi at home the Tu Go app might be worth a try in the meantime.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 10

JuanV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have the same problem, I have iPhone 14 traveled to a location were was only 3g but not internet connection 

I am new in o2 moved from three 

Message 9 of 10

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6738 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1509 Solutions

@JuanV You would have been better to have started your own thread as this one is approaching 10 years old.

Not sure what O2 is doing with 3G as they haven't given a closure date like the other networks, but how much maintenance is going on and if it is prioritised is hard to say

https://status.o2.co.uk/

May help

Also

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 10