Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make a call

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Since the iOS 7.1 update, my phone has randomly been playing up.
Occasionally when I try to make a call, it comes up call failed even though I have a full signal and sometimes a 3G or 4G signal. When this happens my phone doesn't respond whenever I try to call. I press the contact name and it doesn't do anything (usually it launches into a call).
I try switching to airplane mode to reset the signal and double clicking the home button to close the call tab down but it doesn't help.
Any ideas what the problem is?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

When an iOS update hits one of the first posts to appear on forums are that its affecting battery life. In most cases it does not but that does not mean i'm saying yours has not !

WiFi is reputed to use more juice than when on mobile data although i'm still not convinced it uses a lot more tbh.

I leave my wifi on all the time and still get a fulls days usage easily out of my iPhone 5s.

Try calklibrating the battery by letting it drop below 10% and then fully recharge.

Apples help links.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got the same problem.
3G working so I've got data and iMessage, but no signal bars so no incoming or outgoing calls.
I've taken the SIM card out and put back in, turned phone off & on, still nothing!
Message 12 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144685 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Got the same problem.
3G working so I've got data and iMessage, but no signal bars so no incoming or outgoing calls.
I've taken the SIM card out and put back in, turned phone off & on, still nothing!

The usual cause of this issue is a barred phone.

What is the history of the handset ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rung o2 and they say it's a sim issue, the phone isn't barred.
Message 15 of 22

MI5
  • 144685 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Rung o2 and they say it's a sim issue, the phone isn't barred.

Hope so but it is strange that 3G would be working if the sim had failed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know what you mean, I'm puzzled
Message 17 of 22

MI5
  • 144685 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
You can try your sim in another phone to see if it's the same whilst you wait for the new one to arrive.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would have tried that, but I don't know anyone with another phone compatible with 5s sim.
Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could pick up a free sim adapter from any O2 shop which would make the nano sim into a micro/standard sim if that'll make it easier.
Message 20 of 22