cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy or wait??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been saving up!! yes. old fashioned I know. I now want to upgrade from my  iphone 4 to an i phone 5S. Should I do this now or is a newer version imminent? I buy my phone outright & use PAYG.  

Just dont want to pay £550 and be wrong.

thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, when it comes to new iPhones I like to skip the "s" versions. This time you get extra things like the touch ID, which is good, but it isnt a massive step up. I am holding all my eggs in one basket for the iPhone 6 predicted to be launched later this year (to be announced in June at the WWDC). It is kinda of make or break for me with the new iPhone. Sony has some amazing tech at the moment. I am in the Apple eco system though, so it will take a lot for me to bolt! I hope Apple nail it. I agree it is normally always cheaper to buy offline, it just means a larger up front cost, but if you manage to find a suitable cheap monthly contract and stick with it, it is always cheaper in the long run. My fiance has just got an iPhone 5c offline, as she is on a adequate £7 per month contract. She is very happy with her 5c.

If you feel it is too expensive, sometimes I have taken out an interest free credit card just for an iPhone, then I can spread payments over 6-12 months and then cancel the card at the end.

In answer to your question, I think wait. But new tech is only new tech if you buy it when it comes out! Too many people buy up the first batch and them chuck them on ebay, which is a real shame to those trying to get one.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

I do the same. Ie buy outright from Apple.

I use the iPhone 5s which I really like. I sold my iPhone 5 to have this for 4G and the faster a7 chip.

The iPhone 6 or whatever they call it will be out later this year or early 2015.

Have you Considered selling your iPhone 4 to cex and buy the iPhone 5s from them. They are at pretty good prices now !

So it's up to you.

For me if one always waited for what's new out around the corner then one wouldn't make a purchase at all !
Message 2 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I would expect any announcement about the iphone 6 will be in June with a launch date in September so it's your choice whether to wait until then. Many rumours online of what to expect so google is your friend. One such website here:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/iphone-6-release-date-news-and-...

Message 3 of 14

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

There's a few handsets worth waiting besides the iPhone.

Nexus 6, LG G3 and Ubuntu Touch.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's obviously your choice but I find the same if you wait and wait you won't buy it slight_smile
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, when it comes to new iPhones I like to skip the "s" versions. This time you get extra things like the touch ID, which is good, but it isnt a massive step up. I am holding all my eggs in one basket for the iPhone 6 predicted to be launched later this year (to be announced in June at the WWDC). It is kinda of make or break for me with the new iPhone. Sony has some amazing tech at the moment. I am in the Apple eco system though, so it will take a lot for me to bolt! I hope Apple nail it. I agree it is normally always cheaper to buy offline, it just means a larger up front cost, but if you manage to find a suitable cheap monthly contract and stick with it, it is always cheaper in the long run. My fiance has just got an iPhone 5c offline, as she is on a adequate £7 per month contract. She is very happy with her 5c.

If you feel it is too expensive, sometimes I have taken out an interest free credit card just for an iPhone, then I can spread payments over 6-12 months and then cancel the card at the end.

In answer to your question, I think wait. But new tech is only new tech if you buy it when it comes out! Too many people buy up the first batch and them chuck them on ebay, which is a real shame to those trying to get one.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
As with all iPhone launches also plus on the x amount of weeks waiting time to get a unit. 😞

Message 7 of 14

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

It is rumoured that the iPhone 6 will be more expensive than the iPhone 5s.  Although there are also rumours that it may be cheaper to try to save its dipping sales.

Rumours rumours rumours Crazy

Nobody will know anything for certain until the conference in June.

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
The iPhone 5s was £20 dearer than the iPhone 5.

Probably see the same kind of thing this time around with the next generation of model.
Message 9 of 14

PiedPiper
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 98 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My advice - Wait.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with your iPhone 4, and assuming you're not desperate for 4G, then why not wait, the '4' is a great phone after all.

Nobody knows what the new iPhone will be like or when it will appear but you can be certain there will be one. So just relax, enjoy the summer and before you know it it will be time to endure the stress of trying to get a new one on day 1 !!!!!

If on the other hand you're not the sort of person who needs to be first to have the latest and greatest then get the 5S now and be done with it.

Message 10 of 14