cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new iPhone 5s switches to GPRS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed up to O2 from Three last week, and upgraded to an iPhone 5s. At irregular times and in different (formerly connected) locations, it will switch to GPRS, and sometimes to E instead of 4G. This has been happening all week. I have switched it on to ariplane mode, then switched that off, but it still goes back to GPRS. WIFI works fine. I'm in a non 4G area (Brighton), but I should still get 3G.  Help!

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just two pennies worth but does this happen before or after a call?

You cannot call over 4g so the signal reverts to either 3g or 2g whichever is the stronger to make the call.
Message 41 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
My iphone 5s is sitting on GPRS all day until I'm on WIFI. Will be calling O2 in the morning to cancel my other contracts with them.
Message 42 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume your other contracts are at full term.

If not O2 will then let you know whether you have fulfilled any contractual agreement you may have with them and advise of any fees that would be charged for early termination of said contracts.
Message 43 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, you assume correctly. Good company stance though.
Message 44 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a company stance friend but a financial one.

I'm a customer like you.

Message 45 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Appreciate that Bandofbrothers. Not a customer for much longer tho hopefully. 3 contracts with O2' and shoddy service from them. Shame, as I've been with them since they were BT Cellnet.
Message 46 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries.

I'm sure you already know that all the networks are the same regarding price hikes , T&C etc.

And as I say to all check out the other networks via payg sims to see what their true coverage is.

It's free to unlock phones when on a contract (5s and 5c are exceptions on the refresh tariff)

Also have a nosey at their forums to get a handle on how their customer base is feeling.

Whatever you decide , good luck and take care.
Message 47 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
I started with Genie so we're talking 15-year customer and it's been downhill ever since. Everything from internal data theft and fraudulent upgrades to just denying my phone simply does not work.
This latest one - the business of paying a fortune for 4G and sitting on GPRS all day is just the icing on the cake. Internet is flooded with this problem. Surely (and I've not taken the time to read my 100page contract) regardless of the route cause being handset or network, it must be illegal to sell a service and then not provide it literally 90% of the time.
I've also noticed people rightly taking issue with the fact that this "super fast, super high quality" streaming is so incredibly compressed the relative speed falls inferior to 3G anyway.
At the end of the day, it really should not be a problem for forums to discuss which guru or genius takes the blame or which techy needs to speak to which I.T. professional. We are laymen customers spending hard cash on a product not being delivered. At which point does o2 put their hands up and refund my money? I paid for a thing, I want it delivered.
Different context. Order a new car from a dealer. It turns up with 2 wheels instead of 4, and it only starts 10% of the time, in certain areas. You'd phone the guy up and get your money back, or at least a car that starts with 4 wheels. What you do NOT expect is for the dealer to turn around and say "yea well, must be a problem at the factory. Speak to them. If that doesn't work we'll change out the petrol".
It's just theft, really. Advertise a great thing, grab the money and run, on a massive scale.
Message 48 of 49

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Sorry to hear this, I'm about to send you a private message to see what we can do

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 49 of 49