cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S3 reception problem when on HSPDA:9 but not GPRS:1 EVEN though full signal!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. When i originally got this phone a few months ago, i had crystal clear reception, Since updating to the newer o2 software via OTA system update, my reception is terrible. Kies says my software is upto date and no update available OTA.

I have just tried messing around with settings etc and find if i go into Mobile Network settings and change to GSM only rather than GSM/WCDMA (auto mode), i get clear reception. What is strange is i have a full signal, reported as 4 bars. When it is on auto mode OR WCDMA only, in the same place in my house, i have a signal of 89dBm 12ASU and it reports HSDPA:9. When i make calls, the caller can hear me but i cannot hardly hear anything, sounds like a very poor signal. When i set it to GSM only, the signal is reported as 87dBm and 12ASU, so virtually the same, but i can hear crystal clear. It seems to be a problem with the 3G signal? I didnt pay for such a great phone and £40 a month to use a 2G connection and as i said, the problem arose about 2 months ago or so, when my software was updated via OTA update.

When i do */1234/ it tells me;

AP :I9300XXBLFB

CP: I9300BWLE7

CSC: I9300O2UBLF3

BUILD VERSION IMM76D.I9300XXBLFB

Please help and advise what to do. I have just done a complete reset via kies and still no difference.

I am happy to use odin to flash to another version of software if this helps.

Is everyone else on O2 with S3 the same AP,CP, CSC details as above and do you have problems? I live in Hessle HU13 in hull.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
There was a weak modem released that was soon updated (for open phones) which you seem to be running. There is later FW available but you need to get O2 to unlock your phone first (free) then flash open UK FW with Odin.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for advice, i dont really want to flash NON O2 firmware though, i would expect if O2 released a firmware that was known to have a poor radio, then they should release another one to rectify the issue! There must be many others who have this same problem if this is the case.

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
I can't comment as I am on open FW. I had the poor modem for about 2 days before Samsung quickly updated it. O2 are known for being much slower tho.... Why the resistance to non O2 FW ? (just out of interest)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
my phones csc code Is o2u so on o2 fIrmware I get ota updates. If I flash a non o2 fIrmware, to get ota updates, I have to change the csc to btu whIch wIll wIpe my phone and I dont want to do that!
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also understand, the o2 firmwares are special radio modems specific to o2 to take advantage of their network?
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I also understand, the o2 firmwares are special radio modems specific to o2 to take advantage of their network?
The special radio modem that is giving you a poor signal at the mo ? wink Yes, you will have to do a factory reset after flashing, but if you are backed up to your Google account (and / or Samsung account) it won't take long to restore (depending on number of apps you have installed)....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just thought o2 would have released a better version! I have actually downloaded the latest jelly bean beta firmware. If I install that and then change csc to btu would I get the official jelly bean update when it is released?
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
If you have the open CSC then yes you will get OTA updates direct from Samsung (PS, they will eventually release a better version but they may be waiting to validate JB too) ?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I Flashed a few different roms yesterday VIA odin and am now on the latest jelly bean release of software and not on o2u csc anymore, i changed to BTU csc. Can you believe it, no difference in reception quality. I am wondering if it is actually o2 reception in my area. On a plus note, jelly bean is MUCH smoother than ICS and has some nice features also.

Message 10 of 11