cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 3G/HSPDA9 after 4.1.2 update via kies. HELP, Please!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I flashed my phone via kies to the new O2 firmware 4.1.2 from 4.1.1.

I didnt notice the problem immediatly as i was using wifi. My battery was excellent and was was running well. I decided to see how my phone was with wifi off and whether there was any 3g battery drain so i turned off wifi and left for the night.

Next morning phone had drained about 8% per hour and had dropped to 35% from 100% with no use in 8 hours. It had been permanatly kept awake. Most strange. I then started to look into what was happening and at this point i realised it was connected to 3G or mostly H was displayed but i had no bandwidth, i couldnt download anything or sync anything. Speed tests were failing saying no internet connection or just stuck at trying.

The green upload arrow is nearly permanatly lit up but the orange download arrow never comes on.

I spoke to o2 helpdesk and they were not very helpful to be honest. Pleasant dont get me wrong but not very technically minded. Someone suggested i reflashed it.

I ended up reflashing phone via kies, then doing a factory reset and still the same. I then phoned o2 again and someone suggested flashing back to 4.1.1 so i did this with odin and its still the same. I initially thought it must be a hardware error but after messing about and reinstalling my phone 3 times, i get a VERY slow signal via 2G but it does SLOWLY work on 2G so the modem cannot be at fault.

I have noticed though when connected with H in the top corner, it never says H+ anymore, always H and then changes to 3G far more than it use to. Also in phone status i am connected as HSPDA. It always use to say HSPDA:9. Im thinking it must be something to do with this? If i disconnect 3g and change to GSM only, i connect to either EDGE or GPRS but the orange download arrow is on under the E or G. Its only when on H (hspda).

I'm hoping i dont have to RMA my phone but i have spent 24 hours trying to sort it out and am quite fed up know. Can someone check there settings to mine and tell me if theres is the same and if they get H+ and HSPDA:9 or just HSPDA.

My mobile settings are:-

O2 MOBILE WEB - mobile.o2.co.uk

PROXY - NOT SET

PORT - NOT SET

USERNAME - O2WEB

PASSWORD - PASSWORD

SERVER - NOT SET

MMSC - NOT SET

MMS PROXY - NOT SET

MMS PORT - NOT SET

MCC - 234

MNC - 10

AUTHENTICATION TYPE - PAP (SOMEONE SAID THIS SHOULD BE CHAP BUT I CANT CHANGE IT)

APN TYPE - DEFAULT,SUPL

APN PROTOCOL IPV4

ENABLE/DISABLE APN - APN ENABLED

BEARER - UNSPECIFIED.

then

O2MMS

NAME - O2 MMS

APN - WAP.O2.CO.UK

USERNAME - O2WAP

PASSWORD - PASSWORD

MMSC HTTP://MMSC.MMS.O2.CO.UK:8002

MMS PROXY - 82.132.254.1

MMS PORT - 8080

MCC - 234

MNC - 10

AUTHENTIFICATION TYPE - PAP

APN TYPE - MMS

APN PROTOCOL - IPV4

ENABLE/DISABLE APN - APS ENABLED

BEARER - UNSPECIFIC.

1 last thing to say, i was on the phone to o2 3 times and each time it cut out and i had to ring back. i decided to disable 3g and put phone to 2g and the calls were rock solid. i noticed whilst on the phone when it kept cutting out, every time it changed from H to 3G, the phone connection cut out and the line went dead.

I please hope someone can help or i feel i will have to RMA my phone.

The last conversation with o2 was take my phone to a shop, it shoulds like a hardware fault and they will check it with their equiptment and then repair if needed. i dont have another phone and dont have access to another one so cant really afford to send my phone off for repair.

Sorry, very long message, i hope some o2 GURU can help please!

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well FINALLY o2 have admitted it looks like a cell/mast error. 8 days and 6 phone calls later I got someone who cared. On the phone for 30 minutes and then got transferred to a network engineer who said it looks like a 3g outage. The mast is 200metres away from my house, I wondered what it was!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I gather your mobile details are all backed up. Do a full reset of the android system and clear any caches from the recovery menu. After Android rebuilds itself and it prompts you login into Google again, just ignore it and go straight to the APN settings.

Delete both APN settings and choose to Reset them to default and Restart your phone.

After the phone restarts log back into Google and do an internet/data test.

Tell me how you get on.

If you need any advice just ask here and somebody will be able to help.

Kies is evil and I advice nobody to use it. Only OTA or using ODIN is the way to go if you ask me.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I don't quite understand! Do you work for O2, I'm cautious as i think I may need a new phone! I have done a factory reset via phone and flashed via Keyes and via Odin, does this not clear the cache? If not, how do i do that?
Message 3 of 21

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The first thing to do is not panic. It sounds like a software problem and not hardware.

From the Off position.

Hold down Home+Power and Volume up until it brings up the Recovery Menu.

Scroll down to Clear Caches and then Select Reset Phone/Clear Data. This is the equivalent of reinstalling your system software i.e. formatting your os partition and reinstalling a new setup.

ODIN would be my choice of wearpon when it comes to updating Android telephones as everytime I used Kies it's been a disaster. Yes it does clear the caches however you do have to choose the option (and is not usually recommended unless you are installing a custom ROM).

CWM (Clockwork Mod) gives you more options than the standard recovery program however this is for rooted handsets only.

I know this may sound stupid and patronising but you have checked the Network connectivity options are not defaulted to 2G only which would be a curious bug however it should be worth checking just in case.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144333 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
First thing I'd do is remove battery and SIM for 5 mins. Then boot to recovery menu (as above) and clear cache then reset.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for advice guys, I will try this tomorrow after work. Tried all sorts of network settings but its on auto at present, messed about with 2g/3G/auto and its all the same. I'm bloody sick of resetting my phone up! I will try what you said in post 2.
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont know if this will help but just looking at my phone status data and as mentioned above it keeps flicking from h to 3g very quickly back to h. On my status page I notice it change from hsdpa to umts. I have never seen this before and also as mentioned above it always use to be hsdpa:9 and say h+. I think this is the problem!
Message 7 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144333 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Have you done the battery out clear cache and factory reset?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I think im pretty annoyed with o2.
Got to work today where I always have a terrible signal. My phone was connected to h+ and I could use it. I phoned o2 and they told me it looks like there was a possible outage problem over the last few days! I have reset my phone 3 times and lost all my settings and its a o2 problem!
Today it has been connecting at H and saying hsdpa and then H+ saying Hspap. Never seen hspap before, usually said HSDPA:9.
im glad its working but annoyed o2 told me to do a full wipe when I didnt need to!
Will be interesting when I get home later to see if its working at home.

Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just been home for my lunch and its still not working at home! At work I have a signal strength of -103dBm 4asu to 111dBm 1asu and 3G is perfect. At home I get a much better signal of -75/80dBm and no 3G even though its connected to HSDPA. Strange.
Message 10 of 21