cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 3G/HSPDA9 after 4.1.2 update via kies. HELP, Please!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I flashed my phone via kies to the new O2 firmware 4.1.2 from 4.1.1.

I didnt notice the problem immediatly as i was using wifi. My battery was excellent and was was running well. I decided to see how my phone was with wifi off and whether there was any 3g battery drain so i turned off wifi and left for the night.

Next morning phone had drained about 8% per hour and had dropped to 35% from 100% with no use in 8 hours. It had been permanatly kept awake. Most strange. I then started to look into what was happening and at this point i realised it was connected to 3G or mostly H was displayed but i had no bandwidth, i couldnt download anything or sync anything. Speed tests were failing saying no internet connection or just stuck at trying.

The green upload arrow is nearly permanatly lit up but the orange download arrow never comes on.

I spoke to o2 helpdesk and they were not very helpful to be honest. Pleasant dont get me wrong but not very technically minded. Someone suggested i reflashed it.

I ended up reflashing phone via kies, then doing a factory reset and still the same. I then phoned o2 again and someone suggested flashing back to 4.1.1 so i did this with odin and its still the same. I initially thought it must be a hardware error but after messing about and reinstalling my phone 3 times, i get a VERY slow signal via 2G but it does SLOWLY work on 2G so the modem cannot be at fault.

I have noticed though when connected with H in the top corner, it never says H+ anymore, always H and then changes to 3G far more than it use to. Also in phone status i am connected as HSPDA. It always use to say HSPDA:9. Im thinking it must be something to do with this? If i disconnect 3g and change to GSM only, i connect to either EDGE or GPRS but the orange download arrow is on under the E or G. Its only when on H (hspda).

I'm hoping i dont have to RMA my phone but i have spent 24 hours trying to sort it out and am quite fed up know. Can someone check there settings to mine and tell me if theres is the same and if they get H+ and HSPDA:9 or just HSPDA.

My mobile settings are:-

O2 MOBILE WEB - mobile.o2.co.uk

PROXY - NOT SET

PORT - NOT SET

USERNAME - O2WEB

PASSWORD - PASSWORD

SERVER - NOT SET

MMSC - NOT SET

MMS PROXY - NOT SET

MMS PORT - NOT SET

MCC - 234

MNC - 10

AUTHENTICATION TYPE - PAP (SOMEONE SAID THIS SHOULD BE CHAP BUT I CANT CHANGE IT)

APN TYPE - DEFAULT,SUPL

APN PROTOCOL IPV4

ENABLE/DISABLE APN - APN ENABLED

BEARER - UNSPECIFIED.

then

O2MMS

NAME - O2 MMS

APN - WAP.O2.CO.UK

USERNAME - O2WAP

PASSWORD - PASSWORD

MMSC HTTP://MMSC.MMS.O2.CO.UK:8002

MMS PROXY - 82.132.254.1

MMS PORT - 8080

MCC - 234

MNC - 10

AUTHENTIFICATION TYPE - PAP

APN TYPE - MMS

APN PROTOCOL - IPV4

ENABLE/DISABLE APN - APS ENABLED

BEARER - UNSPECIFIC.

1 last thing to say, i was on the phone to o2 3 times and each time it cut out and i had to ring back. i decided to disable 3g and put phone to 2g and the calls were rock solid. i noticed whilst on the phone when it kept cutting out, every time it changed from H to 3G, the phone connection cut out and the line went dead.

I please hope someone can help or i feel i will have to RMA my phone.

The last conversation with o2 was take my phone to a shop, it shoulds like a hardware fault and they will check it with their equiptment and then repair if needed. i dont have another phone and dont have access to another one so cant really afford to send my phone off for repair.

Sorry, very long message, i hope some o2 GURU can help please!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Another thing to also consider is when a mast is in heavy use, the proportion of the signal will be less, during really busy times such as this time of year.  3G is UMTS and H & H+ are 3.5+G although technically speaking still fall under the 3G banner.

H+ is almost like a bridge between 3G and 4G. This is classed as WCDMA and DC-WDCMA which give you up to 42Mbp/s. I think with all the terminology and different names for the same thing, it's all down to semantics.

Either way you look at it, if you have wi-fi at home I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Have a good xmas.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I did another full wipe, deleted cache, cleared mobile settings, cleared cache again and did another full wipe and still the same! Can download on 2g but its mega slow. I use to be able to get around 5mb down on hspda:9, now I never get hspda:9, only hspda and I have no bandwidth at all. Doesnt even connect. Its strange that it worked 3 miles down the road! There is nothing showing on o2 status page but O2 rep today "hinted" there was possibly a problem but couldnt confirm. I reckon its o2 cutting more costs and having more problems but won't admit to it due to recent problems. I have been with o2 about 15 years or more and cannot see me staying with them when contract ends, especially as they have just increased my tarrif also. O2, YOU ARE GOING DOWNHILL BIGTIME.
Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I pay o2 £40 a month to use a smart phone, 3g is a huge part of my contract and regardless if I have wifi at home or not, im paying for something I cant use! I expect some kind of update from o2 to confirm what the problem is.
Message 13 of 21

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I agree. You can check the O2 service update, even if it doesn't fix the problem at least it will confirm the problem is not yours alone.

Although I get H most of the time, it is never 5MB and I can guarantee you that.

Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 have decided to order me a new sim card, I dont think that will help!
I drove to work this morning watching my phone signal. I set off on hsdpa with no bandwidth but good signal. As the signal dropped I changed to gprs and got some bandwidth. When I changed masts and my signal got stronger, it changed back to hsdpa and then hspap at this point I had good bandwidth again.
I think the hessle server is not working properly they have had no other complaints so wont do anything. It always use to have bandwidth and change to h+ and say hspda:9, its not doing this now. If it didn't work elsewhere I would think it is a hardware error but because it does work elsewhere I think its a o2 mast/signal error. What do you think. Different firmwares dont make a diffrrence, its the same on 4.1.1, 4.1.2, o2 firmware and btu firmware. Whats wrong, its driving me insane! My wifi is unreliable so when its down I cannot rely on my 3g which hysterically I could.
Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well FINALLY o2 have admitted it looks like a cell/mast error. 8 days and 6 phone calls later I got someone who cared. On the phone for 30 minutes and then got transferred to a network engineer who said it looks like a 3g outage. The mast is 200metres away from my house, I wondered what it was!
Message 16 of 21

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

A new SIM card seems to be the "Cup of Tea" solution from O2 customer support.

Message 17 of 21

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

One more thing, this is general advice, before any update back-up your phone data (contacts etc.), apply the update and then reset it to the factory configuration. Log back into Google Play and retrieve any apps you want back. This can rule out many conflicts.

Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Help me to switch to 2g from 3g /h if it helps...my phone been doing the same for nearly 3 months and o2 havent been helpful. .. I just want signal so hope you can tell me how to change it. Regards TJ
Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
P.s. I had a new sim too. .. didn't work.. :'( heeeellllllpppppp !!
Message 20 of 21