Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Gsdworld21
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Bit of a tip here. If you wanna talk reimbursement for the note7 do it on chat. I've discovered all chats are kept and will be referred to but calls are just your word against theirs. Worked for me. Ended up with £50 credit to my airtime. You won't get money knocked off the phone as it's a credit agreement so they do it off airtime instead. Push hard and you'll get it. I even had an email about the complaint I made even though I didn't make one.

I know it's not being handled well but I believe Samsung are also hiding behind lies too. I personally don't think these replacements have different batteries I just think they have modified firmware. After I updated a message said that I wasn't using genuine software then I didn't see it again. A few reports are coming in now from Korea and the USA about replacement phones overheating and some setting on fire. Could be fake. I have doubts though. We'll see over the coming weeks. The next time I spend £780 on a phone it better make me morning coffee instead of just being a radiator lol. Good luck guys and gals ☺
Message 1171 of 1,893

Glassbeard
  • 72 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
@Lidenbrock good luck. Let us know how you get on with o2 and Samsung - if you get on.

Am waiting for my email from o2 Friday telling me what my next biil will be. I have a nasty feeling o2 are going to charge me for the Note7 I don't have. Hope I'm wrong but if I'm right you'll all be able to hear me wherever you live I'll be shouting that loud!!

I've already had my first bill, included both the new higher tarrif cost and device payment......  And yet I still haven't had a single bit of correspondence from o2.  No matter what happens now it will be over a month of having the note7 and not being able to use it...

Message 1172 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow - over a month has passed now since I pre-ordered the Note7 from O2 - and NO COMMUNICATION still. Funny how they debitted my card the same day for the handset cost. This lack of communication from O2 is, quite frankly, shocking.

I've had a few conversations with Samsung Help on twitter, who are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I can't quite believe that as a month approaches from the official recall - there is still no news - only speculation on message boards etc.

Completely different approach in the US, where their CEO has issued a public video apologising for the situation and confirming that the handset went back on sale on 21st Septebmer.

Maybe we're such a small market - they couldn't give a toss. And as for O2's lack of communication........

Message 1173 of 1,893

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
No @Anonymous it's not so much a question of the UK being a small market as the US is a very litigious country.

Speaking as an American (though UK resident for nearly 47 years thank God!), my fellow countrymen will sue at the drop of a hat. Samsung are not stupid and the CEO is not going to take a risk, particularly where safety is involved. And, I understand there has been one or two cases of the phone catching fire in the US.

As for o2's lack of communication words fail me. Thank God for the Community which provides some information on what's going on. o2 should be very ashamed of the way they have treated their customers; many of whom have been with o2 for quite a few years. But I doubt they do.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1174 of 1,893

Lidenbrock
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK folks - called O2 this morning on 202 re my Note7 - prepared for a big argument given my previous posts armed with everything I had to say.

Opted for the faults option - though have to admit had the usual argument with the "lady" with regards to what I was really asking for - but put that down to either my "hyped up, I'm ready for anything attitude" or my Scottish accent!

ot through to a very helpful man who, once he got a word in, explained that it was my lucky day as he could fix it for me - thanks "Bob".

Anyway - he went on to explain that O2 have a massive spreadsheet, and phonecalls were to be made to all on the list - however "since I'd called" and he "could sort it out right away". That he would find me on the spreadsheet and organise delivery.

Now it is swap at the door, and I work Mon to Fri and have no way of getting off during work time unless I'm dead or have a bloody good excuse (Note7 delivery won't buy it). So I passed on "can get it to you tomorrow". I have, therefore, organised for delivery to arrive when I'm off in 10 days time for a break (Hey after waiting 4 weeks whats another 10 days?). I appreciate looking at other posts that there may be problems in the future. However I am prepared to give O2 the benefit of the doubt.

Within 3 min of hanging up an email with a delivery no. and details arrived. Proof is in the pudding - if it doesn't turn up 10 days from now I may be obliged to post another not so favourable post!

So to summarise:

Call O2 on 202 from your phone,

Go for a faultly phone on the options,

Rattle on for a few min, using a "normal" voice,

and hopefully you too can be bumped up the "list" (explains why calls don't seem to be in order from date of purchase).

PS call early - I called at 09.05.

Message 1175 of 1,893

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Congratulations @Lidenbrock. Hope you get your replacement in 10 days time. Slowly but surely people are getting sorted.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1176 of 1,893

Glassbeard
  • 72 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The masochist in me is now waiting to see just how long it will be before o2 call me.  I was promised that all replacements would be done by the end of September.  Yet another piece of fluid truth by o2!  Mostly I just want to speak to the mythical team handling this and have a frank discussion with them about why they haven't put out ANY communications to Note 7 owners and what they are going to do about my bill, etc.  At this point i'm flat out refusing to call 202, it's up to them to sort this out.

Message 1177 of 1,893

AuntSally16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 31 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Have no clue how anyone has called and got the exchange sorted?? Just tried again for the 10 11 12th ??? time and same old crap .. no stock ... working through the list bla bla
Lie after lie ... O2 just gone quiet ... NO nothing from them at ANY stage of this and now end of September!!have spoken to each and every department... emailed CEO... tried being angry tried being nice ... had a phone a month today that has been un-useable like many others and clearly O2 not one bit bothered 😠😠😠
Message 1178 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got my replacement now but I wanted to know how we go about getting compensation? Are we even getting compensated?

Message 1179 of 1,893

Cleoriff
  • 123376 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've got my replacement now but I wanted to know how we go about getting compensation? Are we even getting compensated?

@Anonymous This is something you need to take up with O2. Everyone will have different issues and I expect they will deal with those who push for compensation. (As nothing official has been announced yet)

Make a complaint if you wish...http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1180 of 1,893