Did you mean: 

O2 Tracks is closing

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

For those of you who use or have used our ‘O2 Tracks’ service, we’re sad to announce that from 30th June 2016 the service will no longer be available. Customers can still use O2 Tracks up to 30th June and all of the top tunes will still be updated up to this date. For any customers who are on a subscription that lasts longer than 1 week, you can easily downgrade this to the weekly option and continue using it up to this date, should you wish.

We will be sending a text out from this week to customers to inform them of the service closure and a further text will be sent just before the date above.

Don’t forget we still have loads of great perks for being an O2 customer and music fan, including Priority Tickets where you can get gig & event tickets up to 48hr before general sale. You’ll also get access to a dedicated ‘Priority Queue’, getting you into the venue quicker than everyone else. You can even get access to exclusive offers such as free use of our cloakrooms and various food/drink offers.

Have you used or been using the app? Let us know how what you think of it!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I did use it but as I said when we had the Q&A session, without a USP it was never going to win over Spotify, Deezer, GMusic etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Why is that O2 start these ventures and services only to close them down shortly after? Broadband, email, the O2 Travel app, Bluebook and it's replacement, two attempts at a Money Card...wonder what's next...O2 Insure?

Message 3 of 10

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

I suppose like other companies, they do these to see if there is a market for them, and if there is if they are able to compete with them. When O2 Tracks started it was pre Apple Music, and i'm guessing with the number of subscription services available with a wider back catalog it was only time before they closed the service.

Broadband / Email ran for a good couple of years, I used them and loved them, customer services was brilliant for Broadband whenever I used them, I guess the cost of maintaining servers and services outgrew what O2 were prepared to pay, plus these changes were all brought around when O2 was reportedly up for sale.

Money card... enough said.... Contactless & E-wallets are the way forward on these.

I guess for a lot of them it is trial and error to see what works and what doesn't

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Personally I think they should keep to what they are good at and concentrate on the network coverage and maintenance. All O2's schemes have always worked out as a dearer option to what is available out there. Money would be better spent on maintaining and expanding service and coverage. All the money invested in such ventures could, I'm sure, pay for another UK based call centre.

Message 5 of 10

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

I don't dispute that there are other areas O2 could invest in, network coverage, speeds, etc, but I do agree with them branching into other areas, it shows they are not standing still in an ever-developing technological market, even if some product fail, or don't stand the test of time.

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:

I don't dispute that there are other areas O2 could invest in, network coverage, speeds, etc, but I do agree with them branching into other areas, it shows they are not standing still in an ever-developing technological market, even if some product fail, or don't stand the test of time.

For some, read all....as far as I'm aware only O2 Insure is still a going concern and the newest scheme they have embarked on, O2 Drive. I can guarantee that will also fail when people realise the premiums are far in advance of well established car insurance companies. It's ok starting schemes but they need to be competitive in today's economic climate or they will surely be wound up as we have seen all too commonly. O2's systems cannot cope with simple things at the moment. That's where investment is needed. These services they offer are underwritten by other companies meaning by having O2 as the middleman and wanting their cut, they are completely uncompetitive.

Message 7 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Echoing @jonsie thoughts, I personally wish that o2 would stick to the core business as a mobile provider and concentrate on that.

Yes the perks of o2 priority are fine as an incentive but some of the other products have just been a money sink that must have impacted on the core business.

Having been a loyal customer since cellnet days as per my sig I can say though I am glad the 4g coverage obligation lot was bought by o2 and will improve rural coverage in the coming months and year until they have to hit the targets. (Concentrating on the core business) #justsaying

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

In fairness I have never used it...so I really wont miss it at all...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Slightly off topic, but if it had gone into / stayed in (cant remember) broadband market, it might have gown in both area like EE. EE now has a large phone and broadband customer base, and now its in bed with BT, (now B-EE-T) its a force to be reckoned with.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 10