Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling signal indoors

RedWeasel
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I live in a city that has supposedly got excellent 4G and voice coverage but I consistently cannot make a call in my house without it dropping out.

This has reached a level where there is no point trying to make a call as the person on the other end cannot hear me at all, even though I can hear them clearly. I am literally shouting at full volume and they cannot hear anything.

Signal is at 2 bars and it only happens at home.

Network checker says all is fine, but that it gets busy where I live which might slow the network down, which they are "working on" but it never improves.

WiFi calling is no good as it's not supported on my phone, which I discovered after multiple phone calls to customer service.

I'm waiting for Black Friday to jump ship to EE as I am so cross about this but wonder if it's just me, or if I have unreasonable expectations of what signal I should get in my house.

Opinions and experience appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145516 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27934 Solutions

@RedWeasel 

Have a look at the guide here Guide: Do you have poor coverage / signal Indoors? This may help Explain / resolve it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6885 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1532 Solutions

Indoor reception can never be guaranteed as there are many factors that the networks can't take into account, such as building construction and obstacles between your house and the mast.

Signal in my house varies between rooms  and I've put it down to the two massive RSJs we have.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 145516 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27934 Solutions

@RedWeasel 

Have a look at the guide here Guide: Do you have poor coverage / signal Indoors? This may help Explain / resolve it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 9

RedWeasel
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 thanks for the link, I checked it out and tried a variety of settings but no difference 😕

I'm aware that signal in a house can be bad, but it's definitely become worse since we had mast issues which have been fixed (so we've been told). However after that I started seeing the message about high usage.

It's just frustrating that I can't use my contract phone minutes and HAVE to use the landline which costs me.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 145516 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27934 Solutions

@RedWeasel 

Download and use the My Network app to keep reporting the issue https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 9

RedWeasel
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 yep, already on it, however I have no option to report the issue because of the big red, "oh yeah, it gets a bit slow, lots of users you know, sorry about that" message.

Message 6 of 9

RedWeasel
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Although also seeing I can't log in or register (thought I had registered but maybe not) for the app I don't hold out any hopes for it being of any use at all.

Rapidly losing all hope with O2, roll on Black Friday!

Message 7 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23326 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3711 Solutions

@RedWeasel As it may be the construction of your house itself there's no guarantee that any network will be suitable. If you're thinking of switching, get Pay & Go sims from the other networks and try them out before you commit to any of them. You can also try WiFi calling, if you have a compatible phone: Wifi and 4G Calling explained | O2

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 9

RedWeasel
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino good shout on the use of PAYG SIM cards to try before I buy. 

Pretty sure it's not the house construction as it's no different to before the local mast was "fixed" and the issues started. Plus, still only 2 bars upstairs, next to the window, in line of site of said mast which is less than 500m away! 

Message 9 of 9