cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised upgrade when asking for pac code

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two days ago I asked O2's web chat staff for a pac code. They kept trying to sell a new contract so the chat took 1.5 hours! I declined all offers and eventually got the code. 

Yesterday I saw on my account that O2 had renewed my contract without permission. I asked web chat staff to remove the upgrade and to log a complaint that this had happened. They said the upgrade would be removed from my account within 24 hours. This has not happened. They also said they would log my complaint but then refused and said I should refer to the O2 complaints webpage - which says that web chat staff can receive complaints. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor, which took 1/2 hour, who also refused to log my complaint. The whole web chat took 2.5 hours and actually did nothing. They did not correct the upgrade nor log my complaint. 

It is apparently very easy for staff to collect commissions on upgrades which are not needed and not agreed. It is apparently very hard to correct this malpractice. I see on reviews of O2 that this problem has remained unresolved for a long time, 

http://www.s21.com/o2.htm Perhaps this type of fraud continues to be tolerated by O2 as they benefit from locking in customers who don't use the pac code in time?

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144671 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
I'd advise you to call CS on 202 to resolve this and make sure you explain what's happened.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 56

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

If you seriously spent two and a half hours on chat, then you are made of sterner stuff than I am!!

Call 202 to resolve this and make your complaint here : http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 3 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was working while I waited for them to get around to replying. Ultra slow web chat seems to be part of the service. I also emailed o2's complaint review service and phoned to ask for a fix. Still waiting for actual help.
Message 4 of 56

MI5
  • 144671 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
You have 14 days to cancel under the distance selling regulations so no need to panic about the contract but I understand the under hand tactics are what really need addressing.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 56

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Really worrying 'shady' practice. Appalling that customers have to cancel a contract that they never asked for slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 56

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Probably all to do with meeting targets and bonus related pay. Maybe they keep the bonus even if the contract is subsequently cancelled? I can't think of any other reason to be so underhand.

Message 7 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I'm not worried that the contract won't get cancelled but I've now changed phone supplier and worry that the unauthorised O2 contract will obstruct the number switch to the new one. I've spoken with 3 different people (web chat, web chat supervisor and 202) over 3 days and today my account still shows the dodgy upgrade. Everyone at O2 agrees the upgrade was wrong and promise to quickly fix it but no actual action so far. Seems to be not just shady practice but also fraud. I would expect swift action from O2 but the non-response so far is evidence of a major ongoing systemic problem with O2's ordering system allowing both upgrades and pacs at the same time; also O2 staff apparently complicit by refusing to log a complaint and promising action but doing nothing.
Message 8 of 56

MI5
  • 144671 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
I'll tag @Toby into the thread so he can get some more info off you.
I'm sure he'll be interested in this!

Currently using:
Message 9 of 56

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions