cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNWANTED UNUSED SIM NOW OUT OF CONTRACT BUT STILL PAYING FOR IT, O2 MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO CANCEL.

Aarg-1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Really hoping that someone can help or has good advice. Like many others I was sold a non optional O2 SIM card as part of a Virgin Media package. This is really awful aggressive marketing practice and I would never agree to this again. But I agreed to get my Virgin Media package at a reasonable cost. The SIM, charged at £8 per month, separate to the Virgin Media package, has never been activated or used. It is now out of contract so I can cancel. Except I can't. Please note that I do have a separate O2 SIM only contract (was transferred from Virgin) which I use. The other, unwanted SIM does not appear when I log into my account, but it is charged every month to my bank account. I have spent many, many hours getting through to Virgin (the originator of the sale), who put me through to O2, who have cut me off, and on another occasion said that they can see the SIM but they can't deal with it because it is part of the 360 Department! They "connected" me to that Dept but I they don't answer. This lack of clarity, communication, and customer service is really terrible. What can I do? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123021 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Aarg-1 

A guide to cancellation is here Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

You have to persevere with O2.

Give O2 a call on  202 or 0344 809 0202 (Contract) Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Or you can message O2 on social media on Instagram https://o2uk.co/O2CIG), Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW). 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123021 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Aarg-1 

The '360 dept' is actually the new billing  system all O2 customers are being transferred to.

There was no need to transfer you there as they have nothing to do with cancellation!

Very poor.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

Aarg-1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks. Much appreciated.

Message 4 of 12

Aarg-1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the information but I the guide to cancelling your contract is of no use as I don't have the telephone number associated with the SIM card that I have never used. I only have the last four numbers. Only O2 has this information and I can't access it regardless of several contacts. I may consider contacting O2 on X/Twitter but I believe that direct contact should be adequate, although several contacts so far have resulted in being given contradictory information, being passed to departments who don't answer the phone, calls ended. I am about to put more time into contacting O2 today. If they continue to avoid resolving this issue I am more likely to follow the procedure of official complaint then OFCOM. 

Message 5 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12083 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

If you still have the sim in the drawer, can't you put it into a phone and use the guide Guide: How do I find my own mobile number? to get the details you need @Aarg-1 ?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12083 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

You could then also use the Guide: Cancelling Your Contract guide to get a STAC, and, with a PAYG sim from another network, get it closed down...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 12

Aarg-1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply. No, I don't have the SIM in a drawer. I didn't want the SIM, it was aggressive marketing, I didn't activate it, and after some time I destroyed it. That has proven to be a mistake as I only realised now that I have no other communication from O2, for example an email, which contains the contract details. I've spent another session on the phone with O2 today. Again today they told me that can locate the contract, but today they said that can not end it because they can not confirm who I am for security purposes. That is a fact. That is what I was told today. They advised me to go to an O2 shop with two forms of ID. 

Message 8 of 12

Aarg-1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can't. I don't have the SIM or the number associated with the SIM. O2 will only confirm the last four numbers. 

Message 9 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10203 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@Aarg-1 

Go through your paper work from Virgin Media, as it will be on the emails sent to you, or call Virgin and ask them what number was given to you when you signed up. 

Other than that the Direct Debit has a reference number,  you can ask them to check what number is linked to that, and as long as you pass the security checks then they should be able to cancel it. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 10 of 12