cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone abroard

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just got back from Greece and have found I've been charged £1.66 a day and it's saying 02 travel data, what does it mean, help
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122972 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

It means you have been abroad and left data roaming /mobile data turned on while you were there...

So you have been charged for it. It is £1.66 a day but with vat it works out to £1.99

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122972 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

It means you have been abroad and left data roaming /mobile data turned on while you were there...

So you have been charged for it. It is £1.66 a day but with vat it works out to £1.99

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lovely, suppose it's my own daft fault! Thanks
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122972 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I don't really know what else to say @Anonymous

Taking a mobile abroad without checking all the costs you may incur is a very dicey business sadly. I travel frequently and probably know all the tricks of using wifi where possible.. turning voicemail off.. and I always know the costs of calls and texts etc....

However most of that info is in the link I provided

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Before O2 Travel was introduced customers had horrendous bills due to leaving mobile/cellular data switched on. If you had been travelling outside of Europe or in countries not covered you would have been paying a ridiculous £6/Mb for data.

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
An inclusive £1.99 a day is good value compared to previously and some other networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way to find out exactly what data you're supposed to have used abroad? I switched cellular data off when arriving in the Far East the other day, intending to use Wifi when required. I then had an issue with my debit card so I switched data roaming on for 3-4 minutes to try and find a contact number for my bank via Google. 

My latest bill says I've been charged nearly £40 for using 6MB of data in that time (at £6 per MB).

If I've screwed up, fine, but I would like to know exactly what I've downloaded, to try and work out where O2 have got 6MB of data usage from. Is there any way to find out how on earth I've used that much, or whether there's a mistake here? My bill, itemised though it is, merely gives me the total data use and the overall price for it. 

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It is highly possible that 6mb was used on Google but if you call CS on 202 they will tell you the exact time the data was used.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

At £6/MB and bearing in mind apps would be updating in the background I would says that's about right.

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
and as soon as data was turned on all your email accounts and stuff like would be polling their servers.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13