cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from current O2 pay monthly to new 3rd party O2 sim only

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've been trying to speak to O2 customer services all day but not getting very far. Here is my dilemma, hope somebody can help.

Today I've entered the final month of a 24 month pay monthly contract (end date is 27th March 2015). I have seen a new O2 sim only deal on mobiles.co.uk which I would like to get instead of an upgrade directly through O2 themselves as it involves cashback. I have a couple of questions:

1) What's the best way of going about transferring over to the new tariff? Do I need to give any notice to O2 for the current contract?

2) Is there any way of getting my current number transferred from my current contract to the new sim only contract?

Cheers

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23100 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

You don't need a PAC, as you're not changing networks. You will, however, need to get your number transferred to a new O2 sim. As your current contract expires on March 27, you will now be less than 30 days notice before then, so you will most likely have to pay on your current contract until April 27th. When your contract ends on March 27th it just changes to a 30 day rolling contract.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144426 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
If you are not going to upgrade your current contract you need to give o2 30 days notice to cancel your current one, then take the new contract and call CS to get them to transfer your number to the new account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks, thought that might be the case. I assume I will need to get my number transferred before the 30 days are up and my cuurent contract closes?

Been trying to contact O2 this afternoon to speak to them and give 30 days notice and get my PAC code. Frustratingly impossible to get through to the upgrade or retentions team at all!

Message 3 of 14

Bambino
  • 23100 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

You don't need a PAC, as you're not changing networks. You will, however, need to get your number transferred to a new O2 sim. As your current contract expires on March 27, you will now be less than 30 days notice before then, so you will most likely have to pay on your current contract until April 27th. When your contract ends on March 27th it just changes to a 30 day rolling contract.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

Damn I was hoping to avoid having to do that! Been caught out by my month early upgrade date being slightly less than 30 days from my contract end date.

Think I'll request a PAC code anyway, just in case the 3rd party deal disappears by the end of April.

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144426 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Remember your pac is only valid for 30 days too so if you are going to use it, do it inside of 30 days from when you get it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Bambino
  • 23100 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Your PAC is only valid for 30 days. You can be issued with a new one if you don't use it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah, good points about the PAC code. I've just managed to speak to someone in retentions I think and he said I would not have to give notice, that once I have the new contract I contact O2 to get my number transferred over and that will cancel/close my current contract.

I needed reassurance so I spoke to an adviser in the live chat too which I've posted below:

info: Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.
info: You're through to 'Sheela'
Sheela: Hello, it's Sheela here. What can I do for you?
Tom: I currently have an O2 pay monthly contract and would like to take out a new O2 sim only contract through a 3rd party website. How do I go about this?
Tom: I would like to keep my current number too
Sheela: I'll check and help you with this
Sheela: Is *********** the number you need helpwith?
Tom: Yes
Sheela: Thank you
Sheela: Can you please help me with your full name?
Tom: ****** **********
Sheela: Thank you
Sheela: Yes you can take a new contract with O2 .
Sheela: Once the contract is taken, please contact us we'll arrange to transfer *********** number to your new contract
Sheela: With this your old number will get transferred to your new O2 contract and your old contract will get cancelled
Tom: Ok thanks. My current contract runs until 27th March 2015. So if I get the new contract and get the number transferred before this date, the old contract will close and I'll be on the new sim only contract? Is that correct?
Sheela: Yes that's correct
Sheela: You can buy a new contract and please contact, we'll arrange the number transfer for you.
Sheela: The number transfer will be done within 24 hours from now
Tom: Ok and I don't have to give any notice for my current contract?
Sheela: No, you don't have to give the notice for cancellation
Sheela: As the number is transferred your old contract will automatically gets cancelled
Tom: Ok that's great. Thanks for your help

Sounds promising. I might head into my local O2 store tomorrow to get this confirmed though

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 144426 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
The above is correct but you will still be billed for the final month.
As you won't be using the old contract you will have to pay it then claim it back.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Bambino
  • 23100 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Make sure you have a copy of the transcript from your Live Chat. Just as backup, of course. wink 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 14