Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked phone

Mudgie1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I want to leave O2,I have a new provider but the phone wont accept the new sim card,and on the screen says network locked,I have spoken at length on the webchat about unlocking the phone, the advisor stated will take 7 days and form needs to be filled in,she asked what phone it was and when was it bought from O2,advised not bought from O2, she then advised as its from elsewhere,they cannot unlock it and I need to go back to shop where purchsed as they must have locked it ! does this sound right,why would a big department store lock the phone, and if it did how did O2 get round that problem when I joined as a customer !my new provider has agreed to start contract when I have phone unlocked,what does the forum suggest is the best thing to do, am I wrong in thinking it sounds a bit far fetched ? is my only way out going to LG or department store,in this day and age I find it difficult that this is how its done,apart from this O2 have been fine, but they charge double the cost of my new provider,so thats why I'm trying to leave, HELP  !   

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23219 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@Mudgie1  Firstly, have you gone through the cancel contract procedure to leave O2? Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

Had you purchased the phone from O2, it most likely would not have been locked, as O2 haven't locked phones since August 2018. It's possible that because you bought it in a department store, the phone locked to the first sim card that was inserted. You can try the method offered in this guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card. - o2uk

If that doesn't work, you'll have to contact LG, or have a high street store that sells mobiles unlock it for you.

Get Product Help & Support | LG U.K. Support

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23219 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@Mudgie1  Firstly, have you gone through the cancel contract procedure to leave O2? Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

Had you purchased the phone from O2, it most likely would not have been locked, as O2 haven't locked phones since August 2018. It's possible that because you bought it in a department store, the phone locked to the first sim card that was inserted. You can try the method offered in this guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card. - o2uk

If that doesn't work, you'll have to contact LG, or have a high street store that sells mobiles unlock it for you.

Get Product Help & Support | LG U.K. Support

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Mudgie1 

No supplier can refuse to unlock a phone. If the phone you have was an O2 phone, then they are the people to unlock it.

A guide here Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

If its locked to O2 then they must unlock it

Help here

Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

You need to call customer service

Numbers here

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:

If you call 202 or any number in the link, when it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.

Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options

Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to an advisor.

Press Upgrade, Lost/Stolen or Fraud if you have to.

Message 4 of 4