Did you mean: 

O2's 4G Service is Non-Existant

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Sorry, but I feel I have to post about this.:smileysad:

Over the last 6 months, I have been noticing just how POOR, O2's 3G and 4G services have been - primarily, just how SLOW these services actually are on my iPhone 6.........

As part of my daily commute, I commute from Sanderstead train station, using the Southern E.Grinstead service, to London Bridge - Monday to Friday.

Sometimes, Sanderstead gives me 4G coverage but at other times, I only manage to receive 3G coverage. Smiley Indifferent

London Bridge rail station, however, is in a different league altogether.

My iPhone 6 ALWAYS dislays that I jave 4G coverage, HOWEVER, I can tell you right from the get go, that I DO NOT RECEIVE 4G COVERAGE AND THAT I AM LUCKY TO RECEIVE SPEEDS WHICH COMPLIENT GPRS COVERAGEShocked

Web pages take an absolute AGE to load (within this area), as do many of my apps which use data (facebook and twitter being the mani ones as they are both picture heavy).

I will get on the train at 5:15pm, and load up an app, however, the app will not kick into life for a good 10 minutes or so until the train actually pulls out of the station. There is me sitting there staring at a blank page on my phone, in a so called 4G area, waiting for O2s SLOW network to load something whilst other commuters are happily browsing their phones - WITH FULL PROPER, DECENT COVERAGE..... and quite frankly, I am sick of this.

Its not just at London Bridge either - its on the entire journey from London Bridge to Sanderstead. Random spots along the journey whereby 4G and also 3G just FAIL to load anything.  In this day and age - if a mobile operator can't even provide a reliable data signal whilst on a train, then whats the point.

My contract doesn't expire until September unfortunately but I can tell you this - I WILL be moving away from using O2. Enough is enough.............

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23159 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

Once you get your phone unlocked you can try Pay & Go sims from the other networks to see which one gives you the best coverage. Then, when it's time to leave, you'll know where to go.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144687 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
We all hoped for a great improvement with the introduction of 4g but it has, mostly, failed to deliver in busy areas.
Typical speeds for me in Liverpool City centre are 0.5mbps which is completely useless.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

My advice for what it's worth. ...pay off your device now after getting it unlocked and try payandgo sims from the other networks,  freely available online, and go with the best coverage.  You have either a smartphone or an expensive mp3 player at the moment? 

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you jump out of the frying pan into the fire, i have exactly the same issue with EE.

My handset regularly displays H+ and 4G however I can very rarely access data. I am currently waiting for their mandatory 8 weeks to pass to recieve a letter of deadlock. The first 6 months of joining EE were fantastic however the last 6 months have been shocking. Despite bragging about £1.5 billion in "improvements", personally I have only experienced a massive decline in service.

Choose wisely before jumping ship!!

Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Sometimes better the devil you know but not everyone's experience is the same. ..

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Sometimes better the devil you know but not everyone's experience is the same. ..

Exactly!! Happy Dance

Message 7 of 16

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

..dammit - sounds like ALL networks suffer from the same problem then!!!

I often wonder if London Bridge has some kind  steel membrane embedded in its walls which affects the 4G signal there, seeing that its virtually non existant until you move out of the area!!Weird

Message 8 of 16

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @DinoF, I'll talk to the team about this area. Has it worsened somewhat, or just always been this slow for you?

EDIT: Also, have you noticed the same with other devices in the same area?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 16

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @DinoF, I'll talk to the team about this area. Has it worsened somewhat, or just always been this slow for you?

EDIT: Also, have you noticed the same with other devices in the same area?

...to be totally honest with you, London Bridge has ALWAYS been like this since they started the station regeneration (whenever that was!!!).

Obviously, I can't say if this is the same with other handsets without peering over the shoulders of other commuters but from what I can see - other mobile phones on other networks do not seem to suffer like this....

Message 10 of 16