cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Data Usage HTC One X

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

Am new to o2 and have had my HTC One X since the beginning of this month (6 days).  I have a 500mb allowance per month.  I am not a big internet user, don't use facebook etc and on my old phone - a blackberry, I used about 2mb a month.  In the past 6 days, with my HTC I have used 75mb, despite only using the internet for a very short time - really just to check the new phone out and literally for a couple of minutes at a time.  I have noticed that just opening the chrome app used 6mb and using the internet via the browser uses approximately 2mb per minute.

I have disabled all the download sync, and most of the apps I don't use, but this has made no difference.  I also switch to wifi when in a wifi zone.

Does this usage seem normal?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deag
Level 9: Fired up
  • 134 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 13 Solutions
Try downloading an app called "Onavo Extend" it will compress data and make you use less, especially useful when roaming.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
The blackberry compresses data so you can't make a direct comparison. The phone should have a data usage app in settings that shows you what app is using the most data.... Just keep your eye on anything way above something else. Smartphones are designed to use data and many services (like location for example, weather etc) will be "checking in" regularly.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Thank you for your reply.  Have checked the usage tables and it is definitely the browser which is using all the data - approximately 1mb a minute of internet usage.  I have disconnected weather apps etc and everything which may use background data, but it is still the same.

Perhaps this is normal, this is the first 'smartphone' I have had and thought, being a low internet user that 500mb a month would be more than enough, but I am very surprised by how much data the phone uses.

Best wishes

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
In your Accounts settings have you got sync turned on for Internet in the Google account settings?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello all the syncs are  off including google and i only download updates when i am connected via wifi

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go into your internet app and make sure that all the pages are closed. My sister got stung a while back on her HTC when you opened a page and them opened another page on top, the page kept updating/refreshing in the back ground causing a data usage.

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for all your comments.  I have made sure that everything is switched off and that there are no tabs open etc.  Appart from a few 100 kb, the data is only used when I actually open the browser and use the internet.  I timed it earlier, and in 1 min it had used 1mb of data.  So roughly 1mb a minute.  The minute I close the browser no data is used - except for minimal things in the background.

Not sure whether this is a normal level or not!

Best wishes

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Sounds high to me. What is the web page you are opening? Try just opening the Google search page and see what that uses....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is the google search home page I use but it doesn't seem to matter which website I use I get the same data usage. I did use chrome once and it used 6mb straight away!
Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Something very wrong with that. I can't think what right now, but I'll have a think about it..... Just to clarify, you have tried both Chrome and the stock phone browser and get high data usage on both?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12