Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can vey bad weather affect mobile signal

darrenney02
Level 4: Observant
  • 127 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Not that I now use SMS text messages much. As now mostly use Facebook Messenger or Whats App but to at times need SMS text messaging for work. They send me a one off code when I try to log in so they know its me.

Athough SMS text seem to be working. It was a little slow in sending the Mircosoft code for me to get in to my works stuff the night.

Do have very windy weather the night and heavy rain at times. 

could that be affecting service a little the night.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10291 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3025 Solutions

@darrenney02 

Yes as the wind and rain affect radio waves, it is the law of physics at works, as the backhaul runs at higher frequencies than the connection to your phone 

This explains it

https://www.everythingrf.com/community/what-is-the-impact-of-rain-on-rf-signal-propagation

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

darrenney02
  • 127 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for your quick reply and link.

Message 3 of 4

japitts
Level 4: Observant
  • 101 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

Yes as the wind and rain affect radio waves, it is the law of physics at works, as the backhaul runs at higher frequencies than the connection to your phone 

If a point-to-point MW link was affected by rain fade, it would cause a failure of the downstream (B-end) site, and not the symptoms described by the OP.

Not to mention that all mobile telcos use a mixture of fixed-line & radio feeds to network sites, and if their serving site is leased-line fed - then no amount of wind or rain would cause the issues described.

Message 4 of 4