Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming query

dennis1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On holiday in Turkey with my partner, both have 02 monthly accounts. Each of us has switched off 'data roaming' and 'mobile data' but her phone (Samsung) is showing an 'R' and a signal which we presume means it is roaming and potentially incurring unwanted costs. She received an 02 text on arrival outlining costs though I did not and my phone (OnePlus) bar says 'no services'. Not sure why we received different treatments... In a villa using WiFi but concerned my partner is exposed to roaming charges. 

Can anyone help? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@dennis1 

Phone can still be roaming for calls and texts even with data turned off.

If only using wifi, turn on airplane mode then enable wifi.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Guide: Roaming in Turkey and Cyprus 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 4

dennis1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5 for your very prompt and informative reply! I will get her to do this when she's up! I had always thought airplane mode disabled WiFi too, but I see that while this is initially the case you can then toggle WiFi on. You learn something every day.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

You're welcome @dennis1 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 4