cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950 XL Options now that O2 are not supplying it.

xma1e_
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Now that it's confirmed that O2 will not be supplying the Lumia 950 XL, I'm now looking at my options.

If I were to purchase a SIM Free Lumia 950 XL elsewhere would it be able to access all O2 features, like visual voicemail?

The same with purchasing from Carphone Warehouse on O2, will that support visual voicemail?

My final option, and most likely option, is to just leave O2 and go to a network that supports the new flagship XL phone.

Thanks

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

xma1e_
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Are there any users here that have their phones on O2 via Carphone Warehouse?
I'm not sure what the difference is buying a phone (any phone not just the 950) via them or going direct to O2?

Message 11 of 45

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @xma1e_

The only difference is the Refresh contract which is only available directly from O2. This allows you to pay off your handset early and either upgrade...or walk away. CPW do offer phones on O2 but you will be on a 2 year contract..

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/td-p/877701

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 45

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
CPW only sell sim free unbranded phones so you get the advantage of no network branding / bloatware and an unlocked handset.*
*except for iPhones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 45

xma1e_
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That is interesting, although since O2 increased the EU roaming quota, SIM free hasn't been such an issue for me.
Message 14 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@xma1e_ wrote:
That is interesting, although since O2 increased the EU roaming quota, SIM free hasn't been such an issue for me.

Well I did both. Bought my phone sim free/unlocked from CPW...and went for an O2 Sim Only tariff...Best of both worlds...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 45

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

If you go for he CPW deal @xma1e_ do let us know how you get on with the phone! Even though we're not stocking it currently. I'm sure everyone here would love to know what its like!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 16 of 45

xma1e_
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sure!

I'm really wanting to see the 950XL, I've held the 950 in my hand and it's a great size, I'm hoping the 950XL will be just as easy to put in the pocket!

Message 17 of 45

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Means ill have to buy mine sim free from cpw or ms store. Really wanted to move to the refresh tarrif but for the extra 50 bucks, im going BIG!
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 18 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got mine from Carphone warehouse and im on a refresh contract and i have visual voicemail its under the phone settings. i turned it on and got text from o2 confirming it.  so i dont think it needs any firmware

Message 19 of 45

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Got mine from Carphone warehouse and im on a refresh contract and i have visual voicemail its under the phone settings. i turned it on and got text from o2 confirming it.  so i dont think it needs any firmware

It doesn't as it's now part of the firmware, but you won't be on refresh if you bought from CPW.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 45