O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Other Devices (Nokia, Blackberry, etc)

Level 2: Apprentice
Chronicle

10 Years with O2 - Tempted by Vodafone's Prices

Hi all,
I have been with O2 for around 10 years, with a year break 5 years ago which was a disaster - with Vodafone. Basically their 3G network was a joke near me me SW London (5 years ago) so I went back to O2.
I have to say that I don't mind dealing with O2 and I have found them the least incompetent / annoying to deal with out of any network providers over the years - I have other numbers on 3 / GG & Orange. (o2 even border on competent and helpful and well spirited on the rare occasion!). On the few times I have had to contact customer services, I am not filled with dread, which is nice.
I've noticed that o2's prices have become very uncompetitive right now so i'm looking around. I don't want another 18 month contract, 24 month contracts are mad. I've had enough of being milked on long contracts and I have several handsets to play with - i'm not interested in any new phones. (Love my N8 & Blade) So I am looking at the Simplicity 12 months.
o2 - 12 months simplicity, 600 mins, Unlimited Texts, 500MB data +1GB BT Wifi - £21.50 (£258)
Voda - 12 Months Sim, 600 mins, Unlimited Texts, 1GB Data + 1GB BT WIfi - £20 PLUS 1st 3 Months half price line rental (£210)
So I get a significantly cheaper deal with Vodafone & double the data per month. Vodafone also will do a bolt on for £2.50 which means all 0870, 0800 & 0845 numbers don't cost the 21p p/m o2 charge and that they instead come out of your 600 minutes. That would make the total price £232 for the year - STILL cheaper that o2's lesser offering.
So as a long time customer to o2 I called customer service and said that if they would match Vodafone's offer, I would stay with o2. To my surprise o2 just said no - they were fixed prices and offered me my PAC code! :mansurprised: (my average spend over the last 18 months was around £60 p/m)
What does anyone else think about that - should I call up again and see if o2 would match Vodafone again, or just jump ship for the better deal?
Cheers. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Level 9: Fired up
Beaufighter

Re: 10 Years with O2 - Tempted by Vodafone's Prices

O2 cannot match vodas offer as they aren't allowed to offer any discounts on simplicity tariffs and no 08 calls bolt on exists on their system, so the agents hands are tied and they are forced to adopt a take-it-or-leave-it approach.
Please use plain text.
Chronicle

O2 cannot match vodas offer as they aren't allowed to offer any discounts on simplicity tariffs and no 08 calls bolt on exists on their system, so the agents hands are tied and they are forced to adopt a take-it-or-leave-it approach.

Thanks for the reply - that's a shame, but I guess that's what happens when management prevent the staff at the coal face make common sense decisions.
02 management - I hope you're paying attention because after a decade of my custom, i'm upping sticks. We're only talking about few quid and a bit of data - is that worth losing a long standing customer over?
Please use plain text.
Level 9: Fired up
Beaufighter

I think the current approach and price structure may well hit O2 harder than the realise, though it seems obvious to me.
Please use plain text.
Chronicle

I think the current approach and price structure may well hit O2 harder than the realise, though it seems obvious to me.

Agreed - anyway never mind, I just took the Vodafone deal. Feel dirty :smileyvery-happy:
Until the next time...
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 138
Solutions: 1,688

Same advice as usual, go with the best deal for your needs, brand loyalty means squat these days. A year ago, I wouldn't contemplate a change of network but the only reason I'm still with O2 is the coverage I get from O2 and the legacy tariff I am on which is ideal for me as I still have unlimited data and overseas texts.
I would get a cheap Vodafone P&G sim to check the network coverage in your area and if it's good, then take their deal. Do your research and select the best option for you. I fear many people will be doing just that and O2 have only themselves to blame.
O2 need to rethink their tariffs and give existing customers a reason to stay with them but it may already be too late.
Chat | Contact | O2 Status | Lengthen RingTime | O2 Travel | O2 Help Guides | Complaint | Unlock Phone

I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 138
Solutions: 1,688

Agreed - anyway never mind, I just took the Vodafone deal. Feel dirty :smileyvery-happy:
Until the next time...

Good for you Chronicle, you won't be the last. :smileyhappy:
Chat | Contact | O2 Status | Lengthen RingTime | O2 Travel | O2 Help Guides | Complaint | Unlock Phone

I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Please use plain text.
Chronicle

Same advice as usual, go with the best deal for your needs, brand loyalty means squat these days. A year ago, I wouldn't contemplate a change of network but the only reason I'm still with O2 is the coverage I get from O2 and the legacy tariff I am on which is ideal for me as I still have unlimited data and overseas texts.
I would get a cheap Vodafone P&G sim to check the network coverage in your area and if it's good, then take their deal. Do your research and select the best option for you. I fear many people will be doing just that and O2 have only themselves to blame.
O2 need to rethink their tariffs and give existing customers a reason to stay with them but it may already be too late.

Thanks for your reply Stevyjones. Good advice :smileyhappy:
Brand loyalty should never be sacrificed for short term gain. And in the same vain losing a long term customer, who happens to like that brand, by not being willing to compromise, is a very short sighted approach to business. I was merely requesting that O2 match the offer from another main stream network, not better it. If they can't be bothered to put a system in place to allow flexibility in cases like this, then they don't deserve my business.
That is unless they actually wanted to lose some select customers, although ditching a contract customer with a decent spend doesn't make much sense.
The only way to get through to big business is via the bottom line, vote with your wallet. Customer feedback is an expected requirement these days but the feedback loop is desperately slow and ineffective. Booo, hisssss.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
dstocker

I lost my job a few months ago after an accident.
Other retention divisions of o2 were really helpful, out of respect I cant post what they did for me.
My voda is coming up for renewal, was hoping to bring to o2, but it looks like voda remain unbeatable even before going through retentions. It's frustrating to not be able to give back 02 in thanks
Average spend 100-150/month
200 mins to NON predetermined international numbers (free the first month then £20)
25 meg a day included when roaming
3000 minutes
1gb uk internet
08xx numbers included for £2.50 month
The voda negatives are
No visual voice mail
Their wifi partner never seems to work or available, the 02 one was always very good
Voda coverage/capacity in central london is abysmal, ne 3g signal 300m away from the BT tower
If there is CS in the 02 forums please forward to those that decide and not the men in the middle.
Cheers.
DS
Please use plain text.
aldaweb
Topics: 32
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 35

o2 - 12 months simplicity, 600 mins, Unlimited Texts, 500MB data +1GB BT Wifi - £21.50 (£258)
Voda - 12 Months Sim, 600 mins, Unlimited Texts, 1GB Data + 1GB BT WIfi - £20 PLUS 1st 3 Months half price line rental (£210)

May be academic as far as the OP is concerned now but shouldn't that be:
o2 - 12 months simplicity, 600 mins, Unlimited Texts, 500MB data + Unlimited BT+Cloud Wifi - £21.50 (£258)
That unlimited Wifi can make a big difference since McD's, Wetherspoons and loads more big chains use the Cloud or BT.
O2 data now includes tethering as well which may be another key factor.
Don't even think about a VF sure signal if you intend to use your phone with wifi data at home as it still comes out of your data plan.
BB Z10 4G + Playbook 64, NoteII LTE, iPhone 4S, HTC HD2 quad boot.

Review: Nokia Lumia 1020 ; Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ; Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

Unused or passed on: Nokia 3210, 6210, 6310i, 6820, 6320i, XDA Orbit, XDAMiniS, XDA Stellar, iPhone4, Palm Pixi Plus, BB9700

Z10 4G Speedtest
Please use plain text.