cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessages whilst abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

3 weeks ago I was on a ferry travelling from UK to Netherlands, before departing I switched off data roaming. However when I received my bill I got the following charges (both + vat);

International Data Norway - £4.483

O2 Travel - £1.66

Rather confused as to why I received these charges when I had data roaming turned off so I rang customer services and they explained that the ferry used a Norwegian satellite when between UK and Netherlands (despite the UK and Netherlands always being the closes bodies of land) and that despite having Data Roaming turned off that iMessage can still use data. On checking my phone I received 1 iMessage whilst asleep which triggered the International Data charge and another in the morning which triggered to O2 Travel daily charge.

So what exactly is the point of switching off Data Roaming if iMessages can still use data? Odd that I can't send or receive iMessages without a 3G signal and yet I can send and receive them whilst abroad with data turned off completely????

Anyway, I was informed that my challenge to these costs would be looked into and I would receive a response in 5 working days...12 working days later and still nothing from O2

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Toby can you get an official explanation from O2 why data roaming off doesn't turn off data roaming?

Sorry for the delay guys, I'm retrieving some info for you.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 11