Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions when using your mobile phone abroad

Craig_Smith
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm going to Tenerife next week and just need to check a few things to make sure that I won't get any unnecessary charges whilst there.

I've currently got 2 Bolt Ons on my account (O2 Travel & £10 spend cap) and wondered if you really needed these for whee I'm going to. Please confirm.

My second query relates to using your own data.

When at home and not using Wifi you set your Mobile Data to On to get on the Internet.

Do you need to do the same abroad to use your own data and where does Data roaming come into play?

Can you set your Data roaming to On without setting your Mobile Data to On?

Finally where does Aeroplane mode come into play when using Wifi in the hotel?

The bottom line is can you use your mobile phone the same as in the UK or slight changes when abroad.

Just trying to get as much information as possible so as not to get charged.

Your help and responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144433 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Craig_Smith 

No Travel bolt ons or caps needed for EU Travel.

Use your allowances as if you were at home upto 25gb of data per billing period. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Craig_Smith
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply and wondered if you can answer the following from my original message;

When at home and not using Wifi you set your Mobile Data to On to get on the Internet.

Do you need to do the same abroad to use your own data and where does Data roaming come into play?

Thanks

Craig

Message 3 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Craig_Smith wrote:

Thanks for the reply and wondered if you can answer the following from my original message;

Thanks

Craig

• Do you need to do the same abroad to use your own data and where does Data roaming come into play?

Yes (data on) otherwise your phone won't be able to connect to anything.

• where does Data roaming come into play?
  • Can you set your Data roaming to On without setting your Mobile Data to On?

Not sure - data roaming normally means being connected to a non-o2 network (so a foreign mobile operator for example).

For the second I would say no - if your data is not on, then it won't connect to anything roaming or otherwise.

One thing to ask is what type of phone you have - iPhone or Android - as there might be some things that need changing while you are away.

See if the guide below helps answer any other questions.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 7

Craig_Smith
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mobile phone is Android.

Thanks

Craig

Message 5 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

You should be ok then @Craig_Smith - there have been issues with iPhones going abroad and settings needing to be changed, but that doesn't apply here.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144433 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Craig_Smith 

Just do the same you would do at home.

You can turn off mobile data and use wifi if you wish. This will work even if airplane mode is on, but there's no point as it won't save you anything.

To use data when away from wifi you need to have both mobile data and data roaming enabled.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7