Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscribe to packet data first

jkgwatcher
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I know this is an old topic and I have an old phone, but it suits my use.

I have a Nokia 6500 Classic, I have installed the latest settings from O2, i.e. "Prepay". The WAP browser, SMS and MMS all work fine.

What does not work are the three Java applications I have installed: Facebook, Google Mail and Opera Mini 4.

They all exhibit the same symptom: on opening they ask to "Allow network access?" so I say Yes, then the message "Subscribe to packet data first" appears and the application aborts.

How do I set the configuration for packet data?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jkgwatcher
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes I know 2G is slow but I just want to keep an eye on my Gmail inbox, and see Facebook notifivations.

Texting ACTIVE to 2020 just seemed to provide the Web and MMS settings (that worked anyway), so I looked at a friend’s settings and found, and set the following:

Settings>Configuration>Personal config. sett.>My access point>Access point settings>Bearer settings

Packet data acc. pt.       payandgo.02.co.uk

User name                       payandgo

Password                         password

After activating these setting and restarting the phone, all is now working, Opera Mini and Facebook can access.

There must be a way of getting these settings delivered from O2; I used the online help chat but was advised to take my phone to an O2 shop – but those are getting fewer.

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Try texting ACTIVE to 2020. Save the sent settings and reboot the phone and try to connect.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does your phone have 2g connectivity only or can it connect to 3g?
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 4 of 7

jkgwatcher
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Cat Indifferent    2G only   

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
That's gonna be a real struggle to get data to download fast enough for the apps to recognise that something is happening.
Apps these days are designed around a minimum data transfer speed and although they should work, in theory, with any data input (no matter how slow), they generally don't and just "time out" which will give you the error you are seeing 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

jkgwatcher
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes I know 2G is slow but I just want to keep an eye on my Gmail inbox, and see Facebook notifivations.

Texting ACTIVE to 2020 just seemed to provide the Web and MMS settings (that worked anyway), so I looked at a friend’s settings and found, and set the following:

Settings>Configuration>Personal config. sett.>My access point>Access point settings>Bearer settings

Packet data acc. pt.       payandgo.02.co.uk

User name                       payandgo

Password                         password

After activating these setting and restarting the phone, all is now working, Opera Mini and Facebook can access.

There must be a way of getting these settings delivered from O2; I used the online help chat but was advised to take my phone to an O2 shop – but those are getting fewer.

Message 7 of 7