cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am being charged un-necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had iPhone 4s contract of 24 months of £35/month. Contract finished in January 2014. I thought it will be converetd to Pay as you go automatically. I realized in February that they are still charging me about £35. They should charge me only for the terrife not for the phone. I called and asked for a refund. They did not give me any refund. I have spoken to one of the manager and requested to cancel my account straight away. Later on after that I requested a PAC code to transfer to a different network. However I did not transfer. I realized today thay they are still charging me £35/month. I called asked for refund, they said they cant refund. I only made 12 calls, 7 text, 22MB internet. Should they charge me £35?  

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi anowar999 and welcome to the Community.

What o2 have actioned is correct although I recognise it isn't the outcome you had wanted.

When you take out a contract, the terms state that at the end of the period your arrangement continues until cancelled by either party or you upgrade or you change network.

In this case you thought (incorrectly) that your account would move to pay as you go. Most customers who choose not to upgrade just carry on as they are. You then requested a PAC code. Had you used it your contract would have ended. However it wasn't used. Therfore your arrangement with o2 carries on as it was before.

With great respect to you, o2 are not mind readers and with millions of customers on their books we would all seek different outcomes which o2 can't possibly be expected to know. It is up to us as customers to tell them.

O2 have continued to charge the monthly rate. That is correct. You now have choices as follows:

Formally cancel your contract giving the required 31 days notice. Call 202 to do this.

Use PAC (or if it is out of date request a new one) and use it to change to another network. This way you keep your number.

Upgrade to a new handset and new 24 month refresh contract with o2.

Upgrade to a new 24 month contract not on refresh via a third party reseller such as CPW.

Stay on the deal you have now.

How that helps
Message 5 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

All contracts move to 30 day rolling contracts at end of minimum term on the same charges as before all covered in the t&c ring o2 on 202 and discuss your options

guide here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly its an unfair terms to the consumer. 

Also I cancelled my contract, only because after cancelling I requested a PAC code, they put me on monthly rolling contract again? 

They can't make the terms as they need. 

Message 3 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The issue is they cannot close a contract if you ask for a pac code and then do not use it .

If you feel unhappy and as we are all customers here go the the bottom of this page and click on complain and follow the full processas outlined.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi anowar999 and welcome to the Community.

What o2 have actioned is correct although I recognise it isn't the outcome you had wanted.

When you take out a contract, the terms state that at the end of the period your arrangement continues until cancelled by either party or you upgrade or you change network.

In this case you thought (incorrectly) that your account would move to pay as you go. Most customers who choose not to upgrade just carry on as they are. You then requested a PAC code. Had you used it your contract would have ended. However it wasn't used. Therfore your arrangement with o2 carries on as it was before.

With great respect to you, o2 are not mind readers and with millions of customers on their books we would all seek different outcomes which o2 can't possibly be expected to know. It is up to us as customers to tell them.

O2 have continued to charge the monthly rate. That is correct. You now have choices as follows:

Formally cancel your contract giving the required 31 days notice. Call 202 to do this.

Use PAC (or if it is out of date request a new one) and use it to change to another network. This way you keep your number.

Upgrade to a new handset and new 24 month refresh contract with o2.

Upgrade to a new 24 month contract not on refresh via a third party reseller such as CPW.

Stay on the deal you have now.

How that helps
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

I have requested for the PAC code after asking to cancel my account. Therefore when I requested for a PAC code, it should already been cancelled or converted to Pay as you go. Why did they started charging me again for full £35/month without my consent. 

If I use an expensive pay as you go network, it would not cost me more than £5 for 12.11 mins UK call, 22.89MB internet, 7 UK text message.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again

I hear what you are saying but the reality is your actions have confused the situation. To summarise:

1. You called to cancel. Check
2. You called to request a PAC. THIS WOULD CANCEL THE REQUEST TO CANCEL THE CONTRACT. Otherwise when your new network tried to port your number it would have failed as there would be no contracted number in place to port.

The idea that your contract, after 24 months, changes to payg is (sorry to say it) just wrong and doesn't happen.

I have provided you with your options above. It is your choice but you need only pick one. Trying to use two or more confuses the issue.

Please let us know how you get on. I am sorry if it isn't the answer you hope for but it is never the less the correct answer.
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can accept making the contract a monthly rolling contract. 

I am sorry but I cant agree with you with the other point. If they are confised they should ask me. They should not start a contract agian without my consent. At the end this is my money not their money. 

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then we can guide you no more my friend.

You asked the advice. The correct solutions have been provided. More we cannot do.

You WILL find that what happens at the end of the 24 month period is in the t&cs.

If you want to fight it out a different way feel free but I fear it will cost you in the end. I have provided you with the options available. Take them, don't take them. It's up to you.

Please let us know how you get on
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I should also state that you are not in a new contract. Your arrangement with o2 (unless you confirm otherwise) is a 30 day rolling agreement which is what happens with ALL UK networks at the end of the contracted period. Had you been with EE, Vodafone or Three exactly the same would have happened.

Please follow the guidance above. As adamtemp64 has also stated, you can't have a cancel request and a pac at the same time.

Please select the best option for you and run with it.

I wish you luck
Message 10 of 16