Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM TEXTS

STRINGZ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just been charged circa £25 for scam texts that I never signed up for and never received.  When I contacted support via the live chat, the attendant explained that I must have given permission to some company Tap2Bill to send me the premium texts and suggested I call them on 03330030581 so they could give me a refund.

I escalated the chat to a manager who eventually refunded the money.  All in all it took about 1/2 an hour so no massive ruination of my day.  However, why does 02 allow this scam to continue?  The same thing happened to my wife months ago and she was never refunded the money she lost.  It beggars belief that a modern tech giant like 02 doesn't get a grip on this scam and stop throwing the onus back on its customers to pursue criminal activity.  We're not Private Investigators. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144422 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@STRINGZ 

All networks get a kick back from premium text services so they have no incentive to stop them unfortunately.

We have help guides here Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next and here Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

STRINGZ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply MI5.  Kick backs?  Yes, I thought as much. 

The main issue here is that (in my case at least), this was a fraudulent, criminal scam.  I don't say that lightly.  I didn't sign up for anything.  I reported the criminal activity to 02 who essentially told me to be more careful and not subscribe to these texts (texts I never received).  I am certain that 02 has a very robust and efficient security section, so my question is, why are they not doing something about this.

I appreciate it's anecdotal, but I suspect that were I to refuse to pay my bill, I would soon enough discover how efficient 02 can be if they choose.  Overall, a very poor and disappointing experience for me and my wife. 

Message 3 of 3