cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Handset also faulty

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if others may have experience or advice on the following?

purchased a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact online in May 2014 on O2 Refresh. For 11 months, it was the best handset I had ever owned. Then my problems began.

I started having troubles with charging the device. I went into an O2 store on the 10th April 2015 and it was sent away for repair. I got the device back on 15th April stating that it was a loose usb causing my troubles. I returned home and within a week, it was having the same trouble. It was sent off for repair again on 21st April. It returned to store on 24th April with a note explaining that no fault could be found. Sure enough, I experienced the same problem the same day. It was sent back within and hour of me collecting it on 24th April.

On 29th April, my handset was back in store. This time, I was sent a replacement. At first glance it look as in good condition as my last (which was as good as new).

This was not to be. After an hour or so of re-configuring my information on the device and updating the software, I noticed the "vibrate" function had a mind of its own. It works intermittently and useless to me whilst in "silent" mode on which I rely. I was disappointed to find my replacement was a refurbished handset. 

As a keen photographer, My main reason for purchasing this device was for the camera. Upon inspection, I noticed what appears to be a hair or fiber right across the camera lens. I tried to blow it off, only to discover it was under the casing and in the lens itself. My replacement had more faults than my original device.

Feeling incredibly let down, I went back to the O2 store where I was informed my "new" phone could be sent back for repair. While although polite, It was claimed there was little more they could do.

This time angry, I went onto the complaints section of the o2 website where it tells me I can talk to someone about my complaint by calling 202. Having called this number, there is in fact no option to make a complaint. 

I relented and used the "chat" feature. Which is where I come to the climax and quite frankly, appalling part of my experience. 

After talking to roughly 8 people (after being transferred between departments) I was informed I could have another refurbished replacement. I do not consider this to be an acceptable replacement, firstly because I have lost all faith in this device to function without serious issue and secondly, because I do not trust the repair center to send a fully functioning device which has been checked as thoroughly as claimed. Or, I could cancel my contract (which I seriously considered doing as I do not feel a valued customer). This would cost me the £180 I have remaining on my phone contact, effectively, this means paying £360 for a phone that still does not work properly.

At every turn, I have felt let down by O2. I have spent the best part of a month without a fully functioning device, I am continuing to pay for a service I am not receiving and when I attempted to complain about the service, it fell on deaf ears.

What I have been offered is not an acceptable solution. Having has 2 faulty devices, I do not want to risk a third for the £25 a month I am paying. 

I sent the above information to the Complaints Review Service but I don't hold out much hope.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I see. Good to know. 

Thank you for your help. I'll write Sony an email tomorrow. I'll give o2 a chance to solve all this then get some consumer advice.

Thanks again.

Message 21 of 38

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
If the offer from O@ still stands, that they will replace the handset again, that would be my preferred option, with any future faults dealt directly with by Sony.
Message 22 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

When it comes to replacement phones, it will be like for like, meaning you have a used phone so it will be replaced by a refurb. As for warranty on the refurbish handset, it will be whatever you have left on your contract so you will be fine. Like @viridis said, with it being a manufacturing fault no reason why Sony would charge you for it.

So I think the decision is really up to you...you can have another refurbish handset from O2 or send that one to Sony to be repaired...

If you ring 202 or wait for the complaint review service to answer the outcome will be the same...you will be offered another refurb to replace that one...

Message 23 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since writing my original post, I have received a reply from the Complaints Review Service. 

I think I have finally been offered a good deal but I am not sure. 

What would you do? Is now my question...

They have offered me a refurbished Xperia Z3 Compact to replace my faulty z1 compact. It seems quite reasonable, but does this affect the warranty? Ie will I have a year?

Plus should I ask for some sort of reimbursement? I have a lot of accessories for z1 compact that I don't think will work with a z3 compact. And i have spent just under a month without a working handset. 

Thanks

Message 24 of 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
The warranty will last for the remainder of your contract.
No idea about accessories but which ones in particular?
Sounds like a good deal to me tbh.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mainly, it's the magnetic charging dock (dk32 i think?) and magnetic charger

Message 26 of 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I would snap their hand off in a flash.
Sony refurbish all Xperia handsets themselves to maintain ip ratings.
Message 27 of 38

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The docks are interchangeable using the inserts you can get off ebay / amazon
Message 28 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

So the magnetic connection is the same on both phones?

It's coming through o2 again so I'm not sure Sony would have had anything to do with it.

Thank you though, I'll see what happens

Message 29 of 38

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The connector is the same, I've been using the same one since Z1.
Message 30 of 38