Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated Calls and Voicemail from Wrong Numbers

JPWPhoenix
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me with a problem my elderly Mum keeps having with her phone?

For months now, she's been getting calls and voicemail on her phone from people she doesn't know. They seem to be genuine calls but just not for her. Some of the voicemail messages are people saying stuff like, "Where are you? I thought you were coming to visit me today!" or "Were we meant to be meeting up today? I've already been waiting for hours." It's certainly usually people who are British and sound like they're different ages. It's like they've rung the wrong number. But it keeps on happening.

She also got a lot of calls from a Private Number around 2am this morning. She didn't answer it but obviously it was annoying as it kept happening and kept waking her up. She can't turn the phone off, as she uses the alarm clock on it. Obviously, as the calls were from a Private Number, I can't block them.

So, if anyone can possibly help her, that'd be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6719 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

Sounds like somebody has give out the wrong number to their friends judging by the content of the calls.

Blocking them should slowly reduce the number if that is the case.

Only other option is to change her number

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You can block calls from private numbers in the phone app settings

Unfortunately this would also block calls from withheld numbers such as doctors and hospitals

Message 3 of 4

JPWPhoenix
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah, I think blocking all Private Numbers would be a mistake, as she has a lot of medical appointments. Besides, I know she gets a lot of other random calls from all different kinds of numbers too, as I keep having to block those. The whole thing's really annoying and quite distressing for her, so I need to try and find some sort of solution.

I know the last resort would be to change her number, but obviously that'd then bring in the problem of her having to try and let a LOT of people know she's changed it.

Message 4 of 4