cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REPAIRING YOUR PHONE AT O2- WARNING- DO NOT GET SCAMMED BY 02

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Sony Xperia Z3 was recently dropped and the phone screen unfortunately cracked. I have been on my current contract for over a year, so I can upgrade early by paying £150 on 02 Refresh.  I took it to my local 02 store and was initially quoted at least £180 for a repair....so as you can imagine, I wanted a breakdown of exactly what was being 'repaired'. So I went back into the store and asked for an itemized breakdown of the charges, for example, how much was the new screen and digitizer going to cost, how much was labor etc. This was denied to me, on the grounds that '02 does not give out such information'. So I was told that I couldn't find out what I was paying for, I just had to accept the bill. 02 could have been charging me for anything. So I left the store with a sense of disbelief. I couldn't believe that 02 was trying to scam a customer into paying at least £180 for what could only be a replacement screen and digitizer, as they were the only things wrong with the phone. I took my phone to a local mobile phone workshop that had good review online. The owner explained to me that he buys all his stock from the same place that 02 will buy it from, but I was only quoted £80 for a new screen and digitizer and labor from him. Conclusion: 02 IS RIPPING CUSTOMERS OFF. DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR SCAMS. TAKE YOUR PHONE TO A MOBILE PHONE WORKSHOP AND YOU WILL PAY A FRACTION OF THE PRICE.  

I took my phone to: The Mobile Phone Workshop, Hunts Cross Retail Park, Liverpool.  

http://www.phoneworkshop.co.uk/ 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks pretty amateur to me & I can't see it approved by any network or manufacturers. Maybe @Anonymous can come back & tell us

http://www.phoneworkshop.co.uk

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies. Regarding the company 02 are employing to handle repairs, when I went into the store to ask for the repair cost breakdown, I was actually given their number and was allowed to phone them in store. I asked for an explanation of the £180 quotation, but he said their policy was not to give out a breakdown of the bill, which I didn't take too well. This gives them power to have as many customers over as many barrels as they wish! I thought about complaining but would it really be worth it?

Also, regarding the company I took it to, they recently were based elsewhere but had moved to their new address, hence the website being slow to catch up. All in all, they were extremely professional and did save my £100. If I were to do it all again, I would have bought the LCD screen+digitizer myself, removed the old screen and attached the new one myself too and probably saved £30. Might as well have used my Electrical Engineering and Electronics degree!! Thanks guys
Message 12 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hi,
The "rip off" break down would roughly be:
Sony Z3 display and digitizer assembly. £100-110 (or for £120ish it comes with a new frame attached too if from Sony stock)
Z3 Front gasket adhesive for ip68 rating £5
Z3 rear panel adhesive gasket £5 (you go in through the back)
Z3 rear battery adhesive panel pulls (x2) £7
Z3 front battery adhesive pull £3.50
That's £130 just on parts.
So 50 quid for a bit of profit, labour and vacuum tests to confirm ip rating still intact, not to bad actually. How much exactly did you think it was going to cost?
I'm guessing now that some phone repair shop has done it for much less than the official parts cost that the following is true.
1. It's not waterproof any more.
2. All other warranties are void.
3. You don't have the battery holding the body panels together anymore?

Message 13 of 16

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
1290-6073 is the official certified part number btw,
Message 14 of 16

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I would say go to the manufacturer tho in future, the price will be roughly the same but will be best positioned to actually fix the phone without further damage.
Message 15 of 16

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I've removed a number of off-topic post here, as well as some that addresses other members' views on any mentioned services, as it does not help the OP here. Please try to remain on the topic of the OP's issue, rather than what each other thinks of any given service. Feel free to open up a thread in 'Discussions and Feedback' on that ;).

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 16 of 16