Not applicable
Lots of speculation.

Time will tell.
Message 2 of 74

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

According to the article, it's a done deal. Just waiting for the European Commission approval.

Message 3 of 74

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144416 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

As we already have a number of similar threads running may a mod could merge them all, please?

@Toby 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 74

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

According to the article, it's a done deal. Just waiting for the European Commission approval.

So next year then....

Message 5 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is anything BUT a done deal @cyrillicguy

Both the UK and EU regulators will be all over this and it might take months to get approval if it ever does.

However given some other countries in Europe have seen a reduction to 3 networks I suspect given some agreements on spectrum and competition concerns on MVNO's that it will eventually get the nod in some form.
Message 6 of 74

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It is anything BUT a done deal @cyrillicguy

Both the UK and EU regulators will be all over this and it might take months to get approval if it ever does.

However given some other countries in Europe have seen a reduction to 3 networks I suspect given some agreements on spectrum and competition concerns on MVNO's that it will eventually get the nod in some form.

99.99% probability that they'll get a go-ahead, imo. Ok, it'll take some time, but it's likely to happen. They got it in Ireland, and look at Germany - it used to have 4 networks, but two of them - O2 and EPlus are both owned by Telefonica now. Not to mention a relatively recent example of Orange+T-Mobile=EE in the UK. I can hardly believe myself that here we used to enjoy benefits of 5 mobile networks competing for our custom, and now we are almost certainly down to 3. 😞

Message 7 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable

They've still got to agree a price for a start, and then let competion regualators have a look...

Message 8 of 74

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

It's going to have to be agreed by the Monopolies Commission before the ultimate decision if necessary by the European Commission. It all takes time but I'm sure  that  some agreement will be forthcoming. 

Message 9 of 74

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

As we already have a number of similar threads running may a mod could merge them all, please?

@Toby 

Hi @MI5 ,

I'll merge all others to this thread from now on so please report them as normal. I've left the others, as they started out relating to rumours.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 74