cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hounded at Renewal Time - Questions

Anonymous
Not applicable

So how does it work?

How do so many people (other than O2) seem to know when my contract is up for renewal?

Why is it that in the last week I've had over 10 calls from 'helpful' souls wanting to guide me through renewing a con tract?

How do I turn of this relentless onslaught of harrassment?

New network?

So how do they know?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
If you have given permission (or not rescinded permission) for marketing calls, you will get all manner of companies (selected by O2) calling you, as they will sell your details.
If you log into "My O2" you can turn them off but the problem is now they have them you will still get bugged for a while...... 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
If you have given permission (or not rescinded permission) for marketing calls, you will get all manner of companies (selected by O2) calling you, as they will sell your details.
If you log into "My O2" you can turn them off but the problem is now they have them you will still get bugged for a while...... 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 share contract details with so called "trusted partners" who are then able to contact you near upgrade time.

Alternatively you may have been on other websites before you purchased your current contract so your details may be carried over from then?
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Community Forum.

You could check in your Myo2 to see what your preferences, list of options on the left, choose My Choices or write to O2 to remove yourself from this type of cold call again.

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

From O2's T&C.

21.4 You also agree to the information described in paragraph 21.3 being used, analysed and assessed by us and the other parties identified in paragraph 21.3 and selected third parties for marketing purposes including amongst other things to identify and offer you by phone, post, the Network, your Mobile Phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you don’t want your details to be used for marketing purposes, please write to us c/o The Data Controller, Telefónica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or through the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number. For details on how we use your information please refer to our Privacy Policy on our Website.

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Did try on line and just couldn't find or access 'My Choices', but then contacted O2 on the chat contact and they say they have gone it and blocked these calls.

Just a difficult time as elderly parent quite ill in hospital and these private no. calls are easy to confuse with the hopsital calls!

Should be sorted, so thanks and I appreciate your help.

Cheers and out.

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
No problem at all. slight_smile

Take care.
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

As an update, I've just gone back into my online and the account now presents itself properly with the 'My Choices' down the left hand side.

So thanks again.

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
They were doing some system updates recently which hopefully have now been resolved.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I had a spate of these calls last month. Kept saying I don't want to upgrade until they had 4G in my area. Cue "well we've got 4G phones in anticipation" followed by me saying "but its pointless isn't it if I can't use 3G let alone waiting for 4G". Needless to say the calls don't last long! Its an annual thing I like to enjoy Whistle

Which reminds to go and sort out something asap myself....

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Usually saying "No Thank you" works for me. wink
Message 10 of 13